futures and a batshit crazy lady

all attention went to irina when she showed up wearing a more conservative outfit. it was quite a shock to see her wearing something normal and her hair done differently.

i let out a heavy sigh, kicking my feet up on my desk.

"hey, heiwajima-chan!"

i turn my attention to see both kayano and okuda standing in front of me with curious grins on their faces. "yeah?" i ask, cocking an eyebrow at them.

"what did you put down on your career sheet?" the green haired girl asks, and i let out another sigh.

that's what they bothered me about? god.

"nothing you guys need to concern yourselves with," i shrug off, catching the disappointed looks on their faces before they walk off to go do something else.

a bit later, i get called for the future talk shit, and i slouch in the chair in front of the octopus. he glances at my sheet of paper before looking back up at me with that same grin on his face.

"i see that you still want to be an information broker, huh, heiwajima-chan."

"you remember me telling you that?" i ask with a bit of surprise, and the octopus looks a bit offended at me.

"as if i'd forget! but, why exactly do you want to be an information broker? it's quite the dangerous business, and though you said your friend is the one who has been training you to be one, i'm not so sure."

i let out a sigh, leveling a stare at the yellow octopus.

"i just want to be an info broker because i can. it's one of the only things i'm actually good at that i like to do. i could go into a career where i fight a lot, but i'd rather not mess myself up and gain my brothers' wrath by doing that. besides, kasu-nii would probably be disappointed that i took a violent career path."

he's silent for a few seconds. "you really care about the opinions of your older brothers. don't you?"

i blink, nodding. "i mean, yeah. they've taken care of me and been there for me my whole life. when my parents weren't around, they took care of me, and shizu-nii took custody of me when he turned nineteen and had an apartment. my brothers are my life, and i love them more than anything," i say, smiling softly, and i look back up once i finish my little speech.

only to deadpan at the tears falling down his face.

"that's so sweet and heartfelt, heiwajima-chan! i'm sure your brothers would be so touched to hear you say that! i'm so glad you've found it in yourself to talk to me about your deep connection to your beloved older siblings!"

as he bawls, i slowly stand up and back away out of the teachers lounge, passing by nagisa on my way back to class. the boy looked kinda unnerving at the moment, to be honest, but i ignore him and just head back inside.

as i head back to my desk to grab my things, i'm immediately stopped by the redhead who had a smirk on his face.

"so! you want to be an info broker, huh?"

"you looked at my paper earlier, didn't you?" i deadpan, and he just chuckles. "now, what would i gain from that, mako?"