what a day

the octopus trying to throw christmas in february was weird, that was for sure.

i mean, i didn't celebrate it much other than hanging out with kasuka and shizuo back home, with shinra and celty popping by at some point, and tom giving me a gift, but still.

and, now he's celebrating new years.

"happy new year! out with the old, and in with the new! that's right, boys and girls, throw yourself into study and of course, assassination! with renewed vigor!" he exclaims from the front of the room, and i let my jaw drop slightly at the nice new years outfit he put on me. the santa one had been a bit weird, having showed my stomach which hadn't been comfortable. but this one was actually pretty nice, and it was a nice shade of crimson that i really liked.

"now... time to laze the day away," koro-sensei trails off, using a kotatsu that honestly shouldn't be working with how run down the campus is. it doesn't have much electricity, how is he getting that damn thing to work?

"where is he going with all this?"

"oh, i think i'm starting to get the picture: you're trying to cram all the good times you missed out on over the winter break into february. is that what this is?" fuwa guesses, a hand to her chin, and she was almost immediately given an answer.

"precisely! our only winter break together and not one of you came to visit! of course i knew you were worried about me and trying your hardest to find a solution, which is why it didn't seem proper to invite anyone over, but still!" the octopus whines, sobbing, and i roll my eyes.

karma and i catch eyes, the boy smirking at me with a wink when we do. i roll my eyes, knowing he was still feeling cocky because of the present i gave him for his birthday.

it had just been a simple switchblade like mine, but he found it to be a different kind of gesture considering i gave it to him for his birthday, and not just a christmas present, seeing as i'd given everyone else a gift over christmas. one may be asking where i got the money to get everyone in class presents, but lets just say that izaya pays well.

i tune back into the conversation when koro-sensei springs out of his little emotional rut, exclaiming, "water under the bridge as far as i'm concerned. we'll simply reclaim the time we lost by having all the fun at once!"

this is surely gonna be eventful.

———

hearing the others talk about their plans for the future made me feel kind of worried that i already had the majority of my future planned out. i mean, i've had it in mind since i started working for izaya two years ago, but it wasn't a concrete plan until i realized that i didn't want to pursue a career in either of the only other things in good at: cooking or fighting.

being an info broker has been my plan, and my fallback for years now. with how long i've been doing this already, and the fact that i'll be doing it throughout high school as well, i'll have quite a good career when i'm older since i'll already be established in the underground world. izaya has just been setting me up for it and teaching me, all this time.

but that all depends on if we actually assassinate koro-sensei within the next 32 days.

"what are you planning on for high school, heiwajima?" i look up when sugino asks the question, not having realized the rest of the class had split off in their own directions. all that was left at this crossroads was myself, sugino, karma, nagisa, kayano, and okuda.