its a freaking box

back at school, i lightly tune in to listen to my classmates talk about how there's a new student today. obviously, the guys hope it's a cute girl, and guessing from okajima saying how he badgered karasuma into giving him a picture, it was, in fact, a female.

walking into the room, i stare at the box next to my desk for a few moments before putting my stuff down at my desk. i stare a bit once the box shows the new student, apparently, and i groaned.

'the government is seriously fucked up'

karasuma honestly looked pissed off out of his mind, judging from his stance and how annoyed his tone was. seriously, the government doesn't pay this man enough for all the shit he's getting.

the monotone voice of the ai is honestly kinda annoying me, but then again, i talk like that most of the time 'cause i'm always fed up with everyone's bullshit, so i shouldn't judge. damn, i really need to stop monologuing, it's even annoying me.

during japanese, that's when the box bust open some big ass guns and began firing at the octopus.

"fucking hell!" i shout, moving out of the way of the huge guns, even though i'm most safe right next to the box.

it opens again with the same attack, but actually manages to land a hit, shocking everyone. even me, though i've seen more impressive things than a box that can shoot at stuff.

damn, that thing is menacing. for fucks sake, it won't stop fucking shooting, and it's pissing me the hell off!

———

later, once the barrage of assaults finally stopped, we all were left to pick up the mess left by the damn box, and i growl as i sweep, not caring that the annoying redhead was holding the dust pan for me.

"damn box... i actually try to start learning and this shit happens... just my fucking luck..." i mutter, ignoring the look the redhead shoots me from the ground, and we continue cleaning.

the rest of our classes were pretty much the same for the rest of the day, unfortunately. the box would launch endless attacks each class, disrupting all the lessons, and i just got more and more fed up as the day went on.

it just kept at it, goddammit.

———

the next day, i walked in to see terasaka, yoshida, and muramatsu all tying up the box, and i smirk seeing them do so.

"might wanna go over it multiple times just in case, guys. you never know how strong that thing is," i tell them, causing them to look at me in slight surprise before smirking with me, and i get an amused nod from hazama who had watched the interaction. she may not talk much, but she's cool.

when the box powered on during class, it asked for the octopus to untie it, only to be told that it wasn't going to be untied because everyone wants to actually learn today, so it just stays silent for the rest of the day.

———

arriving at school, i walk to my desk and look on in shock as the box talks to my classmates.

the ai turns to look at me as i put my stuff down, smiling brightly at me.

"heiwajima-chan! i'm so happy that we get to be seat neighbors! you seem really nice and fun to talk to and-!" she was saying, but i hold up a hand to cut her off.

"please don't use that honorific with me, we don't even know each other. second of all, you're only programmed to act this way, so i'd prefer it if you just didn't talk to me. it'll honestly just be annoying if we try to keep a conversation going."

the ai and the others around me look at me in shock, obviously not having expected me to be so blunt or rude.

"heiwajima-chan, that wasn't very nice-," kataoka begins to say, but i ignore her and just sit down.

'i'm too tired for all this bullshit'

throughout the day, the box next to me was overly nice to everyone, and had everyone pretty much wrapped around her fingers. except for me, terasaka, and maybe akabane.

when they gave her a name, i couldn't help but sigh. they're getting attached to something that doesn't have real emotions, it's not even an animal.

how stupid.

———

and on the next day, she was back to the way she was before.

dull and monotone.

as soon as the box opened up to shoot up the place again, i made to move slightly out of the way, but instead just stared around at the flowers it had produced.

'they're all so... beautiful...'

later, after class had ended and i was packing up my stuff, i'm stopped by the ai calling out for me.

"heiwajima-san?"

"huh?"

"i'm sorry if i came off too forward when talking to you, yesterday. i was just really excited to have you as my neighbor during class, and i really wanted us to be friends. is there something wrong with me that caused you to speak out like you did?" she asks, and i sigh.

"not really, but i don't exactly have a lot of friends, and i don't exactly want to be here, so i don't see the point in making friends. and even though you do have free will, you're still a robot. if we do actually become friends, it'll be because i see past you being an ai."

with that, i walk out of the room, ignoring my classmates once again, but am stopped outside when i hear the familiar, annoying voice of the red headed bastard.

"heiwajima~."

"the hell do you want, now?"

"oh, i just wanted to tell you that you still have flower petals in your hair~," he teases, making me groan and ruffle my hair to try and get them out.

"are they gone, or are you gonna be a bitch and make me go home like this?" he just chuckles and reaches up to take out what seems to be three petals, and when he pulls his hand back, there are in fact three in his hand.

"all gone~."

"i'd say thanks, but i despise you, so, goodbye."

and so, i leave him at the top of the mountain.