i hate my best friend

i'm just sitting at my assigned lab seat, watching the boys preparing to try and assassinate the monster in boredom, when the door opens, and they immediately try to hit him. i roll my eyes, seeing as the octopus dodged and set the lab equipment up while they gave chase, leading them to be out of breath once he was done, and he was all fine and dandy.

fuck he's annoying.

the bell rang, signaling it was time for class to start, and i rest my chin on my hand unamused as i observe the girl across from me.

okuda manami. shy, nervous, only confident in her science abilities, doesn't talk much, short, petite, and naive. she doesn't stand out much, is cute but plain, and is easily manipulated but smart at the same time.

boring.

predictable.

for this boring class, the octopus had us extract the food coloring from processed foods, but me being the bitch i am, i didn't do shit. i just watched okuda do it, uninterested, and she glanced up at me a few times nervously, only for me to give her a blank look and she would quickly turn back to the food. again, boring. and predictable.

he took the leftover snacks of the students, and i snickered, because i didn't have any snacks for him to take. okuda looked up at me in confusion, but turned her head away to tune back into the lesson.

i glance at her when she stands up, watching her every movement as she unconfidently walks to the front of the classroom, carrying beakers behind her containing liquids. considering she's a science nut, it's most likely poison.

i smirk when she holds out the beakers towards it, asking the beast to drink them.

predictable.

but what wasn't something i could predict, was him taking the poisons and drinking them both. or the new facial expressions he gained because of them.

the idiot had went and exposed her weakness of being easily manipulated and not good at being subtle as she gave him the poisons, and i sigh. she's too predictable and naive.

i ignore the rest of the conversation, knowing he was most likely manipulating her in someway, and i sighed. damn, i've been doing that a lot lately. not that i didn't do it a lot before, but i've been doing it even more so since i joined this class and started spending time around this thing.

the next day, okuda showed up with another beaker, and i just knew that everything was about to go to hell.

when the octopus drank the poison or whatever the fuck it was, he transforms into some weird goop thing, and when some people try to kill him, he speeds around the room and stops on top of my desk at some point.

"you should really pay more attention in class, heiwajima-chan," it says in that weird voice, and i look at it in disgust.

"get off my fucking desk."

"that's no way to talk to your teacher!" it exclaims before speeding off my desk when my classmates try to kill him once again.

of course there's a fucking lesson in this whole goddamn thing.

karma laughs and makes a comment, but i don't pay attention, and rest my head on my desk. i just wanna get out of here.

———

walking through the forest of this goddamn mountain was not on my agenda today.

so, i just skipped the stupid ass assembly, and went home. but not without a scolding from the octopus.

why won't the damn thing leave me alone?

i end up at my apartment after grabbing some takeout for an early dinner, not caring that my eating schedule is fucked since i eat at random times.

i'd changed out of the uncomfortable uniform right after getting home, then started eating the food. it was some good sushi, but i miss the russia sushi sushi, and simon and denis, who were always nice and welcoming to me despite the fact i hung with both shizuo and izaya; two of the most dangerous people in the goddamn city.

my phone goes off as i'm chewing, and i don't bother looking at the caller id when i answer, saying, "the hell do you want?"

"is that any way to treat your best friend and employer, ma-chan?"

i groan when i hear his voice, placing the phone down and putting it on speaker.

"again, i say, the hell do you want, asshole?"

"ugh. you're no fun. you're my best friend, you're supposed to entertain me!"

"that's not my job, dipshit, you know that."

"i know, i know. anyways, i bet you're wondering why i called you out of the blue, huh?"

"the thought hadn't crossed my mind," i say sarcastically, and he chuckles.

"well, i just wanted to inform my best friend, that i have been stabbed. i'm calling you from the hospital, my sweet little foul-mouthed apprentice," he states, and i clench my fist at his condescending words.

"you fucking asshole. i can't believe you got yourself stabbed like a damn idiot!"

"aww, my bestie does care!"

"if you don't shut the fuck up right now, i won't come pick you up."

"okay, okay! i'll see you soon, little apprentice!"

"shut it, izaya!" i shout at him, but he hangs up, and i growl at the device. my hand runs over my face and i groan. i was hoping today would be as normal as my life could let it, but it seems like the fucking universe just wants me to stop trying for a semblance of normalcy.

i grab a hoodie and my necessities, such as money, my id, bus pass, my pocket knife, all that other necessary shit, and leave the apartment in a foul mood.

i'll probably end up staying in ikebukuro for a while, considering my best friend and my brother are both idiots, and i miss shinra and celty, so i decide to suck it up and just deal with the nut house that is ikebukuro.

these fucking assholes just can't leave me alone, can they?