anger

mako was sparring with karma, due to karasuma finally forcing her to participate in his class. he had paired her up with the redhead specifically, since he believed the boy was the one most on par with her from her previous display of skill and her reassurances that she already knew everything he had been teaching.

she hates to admit it, but the akabane boy was a good practice partner. granted, he wasn't as good as he assumed himself to be, but he was good enough to spar with. when he went over to challenge the man from the ministry, she stayed off to the side, observing.

she didn't bother trying to go after the man, not wanting to show off any of her tricks just yet, and continues sparring with karma when he returns to her.

when the bell rings, they lower their knives, him smirking at her.

"you're a lot harder to beat than i expected, heiwajima."

"well, you're not. i just didn't feel like knocking you on your ass, today." he chuckles teasingly, but she walks away before he can say anything.

mako really was not in the mood for his antics, today. she hadn't gotten a lot of sleep the night previous, or for the last few nights at all, and was suffering the full consequences of it.

hopefully, the next day would have something worth paying attention to.

———

glancing up to see a round-bellied man carrying bags and grinning at them, mako tenses, feeling bad vibes coming off the man. turning her body away slightly in case she felt the need to leave. this man, takaoka, was going to cause problems, and she just knew it.

he set out a bunch of sweets for the students to chow down on, but the girl keeps her distance from him.

"hey, girlie! why don't you join us, have a snack! you could use some sugar to help keep you energized!" takaoka exclaims cheerfully, drawing attention to mako, and she frowns.

"no, thank you. i don't eat food given to me by strangers."

his eyes darken slightly, but he puts his smile back on with an enthusiastic nod. "you're smart, girlie! but, i can assure you, that i did not tamper with the sweets at all! besides, we're not strangers anymore, are we?"

she gives him a blank stare of acknowledgment, then she walks off. mako ignores his calls for her to return, and walks back to the locker room to change back into her regular school clothes.

walking back out, she looks back just in time to see takaoka knee maehara in the gut, the boy falling to the ground.

she rushes over, throwing her bag to the side and taking a defensive position in front of her classmates, sending a death glare to the man.

"rule number two: we're a family and i'm the dad. show me a family where dad ain't in charge and i'll show you a family in crisis. if this is too much for you, sit it out! i'll have my people back at hq send in replacements for the whole class. that said, i'd much rather see you stick it out. a father loves each of his children unconditionally, the thought of losing even one of 'em breaks his heart. we're gonna save the world, kids, and we're gonna do it as a family," he rants, walking over to kanzaki and mimura and wrapping his arms around them, smirking hideously.