visiting an idiot in the hospital

getting off the train, i sigh, rubbing the back of my neck in irritation. my hair is tied up in a loose ponytail, a style i don't usually put in it but is necessary to keep from being recognized. leaving the station, i go to the surface and breathe in the air, letting it out slowly.

i missed ikebukuro. even if it's a really shitty place.

my recently dyed hair served as a measure to keep people from recognizing me and word getting back to shizuo about me being in the city. if he found out i was here, skipping school, and to see izaya of all people, i'd be murdered on sight.

simon and tom might try to stop him, but he'll still end up killing me. not like i don't wanna die, anyways, though.

i'd done some research last night to find out which hospital he was in, so it wasn't hard to find him when i got a taxi. entering the hospital, i act like i'm distressed, and hurriedly rush to the receptionist.

"hello, is there anything i could help you with?" she politely asks, most likely used to seeing people in distress on a daily basis. i mean, this is a hospital for god's sake.

"yes, i'm looking for orihara izaya? he told me this is where he was brought when he called me," i respond, fake worry in my tone, and she looks at me softly with a polite smile.

"yes miss, he's here. may i ask your relation?"

"he's my best friend."

she looks confused, especially since i definitely look younger than izaya, but she doesn't question it. she gives me his room number and tells me where to go, so i hurriedly go to the elevator. once inside, i keep up the act since there's cameras inside, but press the buttons and wait until i'm on his floor.

reaching it, i leave the metal box and search for the room with the right number on it, and sigh in exasperation.

opening the door quietly, i lean against it to watch him laugh like a dumbass, and then clutch his side in pain. he's a real fucking idiot.

"i see you're still dumb as fuck. glad to know nothing's changed with you while i was gone." izaya abruptly looks to me, a wide grin growing on his face, and he ushered me over to his side. i close the door then walk over, letting him engulf me in an estranged hug. while izaya may be crazy, he actually gives nice hugs.

i know this because he's always hugging me. my brother actually beat him up for it when i first told him.

"ma-chan! i'm so glad you made it! i missed you so much!" he exclaims happily, laughing again, but winces and lets go when his side hurts him again.

"dumbass, don't strain yourself," i scold, pushing his arms off me and sitting in the chair next to his bed.

"you dyed your hair, i see. was it to make sure shizu-chan doesn't find out you're back?" he asks, still smiling, and i nod as i put my bag on the ground next to me.

"yeah. can't let him know i'm skipping to see you or else he'll kill you, then he'll fucking murder me, and while i do want to die, i'd rather not at the hands of my brother. the school sends absence notices to my new place and i gave them my home phone to send calls to if they call home, but since the principal wants my damn class to fail anyways, he won't give a fuck about calling," i state, standing up and walking over to his hoodie and fluffing it.