Chapter 6: Beauty Behind A Mask Pt. 2

Dream

I see her.

I really see her.

The small amount of pain peaking from behind her eyes as she relaxes into my hand.

The fear she's finally letting go.

The battle that she's finally giving up.

I see her the way no one has ever seen her.

I notice the tears coming up in her eyes and pull her closer, her head now in my shoulder with soft sniffles coming from her.

"I can't believe I'm crying to a stranger." She mumbles softly, making me chuckle a bit. "Thank you, for understanding." She says as she leans her head on my shoulder.

"That's why I'm a hero." I tell her and she laughs. "I just sort of knew you needed it."

"You could say that." She whispers with a small chuckle. "I'm sorry if I caused trouble at the festival."

"It's fine, I know you just wanted to protect Tubbo." I tell her and we both get quiet, enjoying the view and each other's presence.

"My name's Sam." She says all of a sudden.

"Mine's Clay." I tell her.

-

George

"You're annoying Sapnap." I say when I push Sapnap away from me for the third time this minute.

"You won't tell me where Dream is." Sapnap says accusingly.

"Cause I don't know where he is!" I tell him, getting frustrated.

"Then come find him with me!" Sapnap says like it's obvious.

"Alright, I'll help find him. I hate you so much." I say, mumbling the last part.

"What did you just say?"

"Nothing."

"That's what I thought."

I roll my eyes and just follow Sapnap while looking around for Dream.

"You think he'd be in Punz' tower?" Sapnap asks as we make our way over there.

"That's where he usually is when he wants to be alone, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to go up there- Never mind, you're already going." I try to tell Sapnap, but end up talking to myself mostly.

"Get up here Gogy, you slow old man." Sapnap yells after me.

"I hate you." I tell him as I come up to him waiting at the top of the stairs.

"You know you love me."

"No, I don't think I do."

"Well, I know you love me."

"No, I don't."

"Yes you do."

"No I don't."

"Yes you do, I bet Dream knows you do too." Sapnap says as he barges through the door, immediately stopping dead in his tracks, making it impossible for me to look past him.

"Sapnap, move!" I yell at him and push him aside, only to be met by a rather weird sight.

There Dream was, sitting at the edge of the building like he usually does, but there was nothing usual about the setting this time. Right next to him sat Nightmare, the one we were supposed to catch for Schlatt.

"What the actual fûck." Sapnap says and the love birds turn around shocked, staring at us with big eyes.

Dream had his mask off and Nightmare looked like she'd been crying, can she even cry?

"Time to go." Nightmare says and quickly gets up. "It was fun while it lasted. I'll see y'all soon." She says and literally jumps off the building.

All of us quickly run to the edge and see her swimming in the water down below.

"What was that?!" Sapnap yells at Dream.

"Not important."

"Well, I think it's quite important to know about your secret little relationship with the person we are supposed to bring to Schlatt!" Sapnap yells again. "You can't talk yourself out of this one!"

"It's just- She needed a friend, okay. She's alone out there and I just wanted to talk to her. That's how we ended up here, like that." Dream explains, softly whispering the last part.

"And this won't get in the way of our mission?" I ask him curiously.

"Not at all. She won't get away so quick next time, promise." Dream says, but I could easily notice the lying tone in his voice.

"I'll take your word for it." I tell him and he nods at me.

He stares away from us, towards the way she just fled.

He knows something.