Chapter 5: Beauty Behind A Mask

"So, why the pig mask?"

"Just thought it was cool."

"Of course you'd find that cool."

"Well, sorry ms badass. We can't all wear black and masks with teeth on them."

"Touché."

"So, do you wanna stay here any longer? We've been here for about two hours now." Techno says after we've had our usual smalltalk.

We were currently hiding in the woods beside the Dream SMP, inspecting their patrols and making sure to know their every move.

"You can go, I'm staying for a little bit more." I tell Techno.

"Alright, if you say so. But if you get caught I won't safe you." He says while pointing his finger.

"Yeah yeah, just go. I'll see you later." I tell him while keeping my eyes on the people sitting around the campfire.

"See you." Techno says and I hear him leave.

After a couple minutes I hear rustling again.

"Forgot something?" I ask, thinking it's Techno.

"Yeah, you." Someone speaks up, obviously not Techno and I slowly turn around to be met by Dream wearing his stupid smiley face mask.

"I- I wasn't- uhm." I try to speak, but stumble over my words.

"No worries, just thought you might want to come with me, to talk." Dream says, interrupting me before I embarrass myself even more.

"I'd rather just leave." I tell him and he sighs.

"It's just for a little bit, you can still watch over them, I just need you to hear me out." He tries to convince me.

Knowing my curiosity and the fact that I didn't have much of a choice, I decided to go with him.

I followed Dream all the way up to a tower where we both sat down on the edge, our feet dangling over it.

"I don't wanna fight." Dream is the first to speak up, breaking our actually not that uncomfortable silence.

"Why's that?" I ask, genuinely curious about his answer.

"I don't think you're a bad person." Dream says with a shrug and I laugh at that.

"I literally kill for fun. I don't know your exact definition of a bad person, but I'd say that's pretty bad." I tell him.

"You don't kill, you chase. I know your story and I don't mean the rumors of you killing entire villages. I know you just found an abandoned village and sometimes steal some stuff too, but you don't kill." Dream explains and I stay quiet. "I understand why you wouldn't say that, but you don't have to hide behind the person people see you as."

"How'd you even know that?" I ask, acting unbothered.

"Because it's easy, doing your thing, having no one to worry about. Who cares about those rumors if they help you?" He explains. "There's hero's and villains in every story."

"Look Dream, we're not the same. You're the hero here, I'm the villain. That's just how it is." I tell him.

"I may be a hero, but you're not a villain."

"Every hero needs their villain."

"But who says you have to be that villain?"

"Everyone. Look, just like everyone sees you as the hero and tells stories about acts you supposedly did, everyone sees me as the villain and I'm okay with that. It's always been like that and it always will be." I tell him and he sighs, looking at me.

He stretches out his arm slowly and cups my cheek. He pulls off his mask and I look him straight in his eyes.

He sees me.

He really sees me.