Don't You Remember

"When will I see you again?"

Dont You Remember by Adele 

---

It was one of those weekends where Mitch and I wanted to get away from the city and have time to unwind, relax, and enjoy each other's company. We rented a cottage by the beach and were currently strolling the beachfront, enjoying the late afternoon sun. We were both barefoot, slippers on one hand, the other holding each other close. The waves rushed to tickle our feet as we walked on the edge of the water.

"I think this is our spot," I told Mitch when I stopped.

"Oh yeah? What makes you sure?" he asked.

"There's the big rock. The one where we… hid. Remember?"

The corner of his lips turned up before he flashed me a full smile. "The rock," he chuckled.

"The rock," I repeated with a giggle. "Come." I led the way and settled down near the rock which was only a few meters away from the water. I had brought a towel with me and I arranged it on the sand. I helped Mitch sit down before I settled beside him.

"Now what?"

"You're so impatient, babe," I teased. "You’re the one who wanted to wait for the sunset."

"But -"

I gently kissed him on the lips to shut him up. I pulled away and smiled when I saw that Mitch still had his eyes closed. "You're gorgeous. You know that, right? And you have really sweet lips. I like kissing them a lot."

The blush crept up his cheeks and lightly stained them pink. He reached for my hand and rested his head on my shoulder. "How could I not know? You always tell me, as if I'll forget. And you also kiss me a lot."

Instead of responding, I put my head on his and just stared at the beach.

"How long has it been since we started going here?" I broke the silence after a couple of minutes.

"Hmmm… Seven, I think. This is our seventh year here," he replied.

"Do you -"

"Remember -"

We laughed when we spoke at the same time. "Go ahead, " I told him.

Mitch let out a sigh. "Remember the first time we went here?"

It wasn’t the first time he asked me that question and I remembered that day well. "Yeah, it was after the last leg of our European tour. We wanted to get away from it all so we went here."

"We sunbathed a lot that day. I think I burned my skin."

"I did, too. We both slept and were left under the sun for hours!" I laughed at the memory.

“And then we went skinny dipping. Cause we said we wanted to -”

“Cool down.” I finished for him. “Oh god, that was crazy.”

Mitch was now laughing heartily with his head thrown back and his hands clasped together. It was a sight to see and for a moment I just watched him.

“You think that was crazy? What about what we did behind the rock?!” He said in between giggles.

“Wet bodies and sand DO NOT go together. Why do movies always make it seem so sexy?”

“That hurt a lot! Sand against sunburned skin!”

It was true. We desperately wanted to make the moment romantic and all movie-ish, but after a couple of minutes of grinding against each other, we had to stop. The sand chafed against our skins, which were sensitive both from the sunburn and being aroused.

Slowly our laughter died down and we both fell silent again. Mitch seemed preoccupied with his thoughts, probably of more memories we have of that beach.

I stood up and went behind his back before I sat down again and placed my outstretched legs on either side of his. I hugged him by the waist and perched my chin on his shoulder.

Mitch put his hands on top of my arms and relaxed, melting into my embrace.

“The sun is setting,” I whispered.

Mitch sighed and squeezed my arms.

The sunset was beautiful like always, and half an hour later the sun was no longer visible over the horizon. The brunette in my arms had fallen asleep and was breathing evenly. I wanted to stay there and keep him in my arms but it was getting chilly.

“Babe…” I nudged gently.

He stirred and slowly opened his eyes.

“We should go back. You could rest more properly in the cottage.”

He nodded. I stood up and helped him get up. I folded up the towel before we walked back to our cottage the same way we did earlier - barefoot, hand in hand.

We reached the cottage and went straight to our room since Mitch insisted on having a nap before we went out for dinner.

He was on the bed, pulling the sheets up to his chest when he spoke. “Babe…”

I climbed on the bed and sat beside him. “Hmmm?”

“I wish I had more time.”

I was just waiting for it. For the past three years we’ve been going back to our spot, we would do the same things - reminisce, enjoy the sunset… and then have this conversation. I think he tried to not think about it, to not bring it up, but I couldn’t really blame him.

I slid down the bed and lay on my side to face him, my fisted hand supporting my head. “I wish there was something we could do.”

“Nothing worked. Nothing works..” The pain was now more evident in his face and in his voice. “But I’ve accepted it. It’s just that…”

“I know, babe.” My hand reached for his.

“Did the beach look the same?”

“Yes.”

“And the sunset? Did it look as beautiful as all those years ago? I don’t want to forget.”

“Yes. Beautiful just the way you remember it.”

Mitch closed his eyes and a single tear fell.

It was heartbreaking to see the man I loved slowly fall apart. I knew he was strong and we’ve had a similar conversations countless times, but it was one of those moments when he let me see how vulnerable he really was.

I wiped away the tear with my thumb. “Rest. Try not to think about it. We’ll do something fun after dinner, okay?”

He gave a quick nod.

I kissed his lips and then the scars on his face, then the ones near his eyes.

Mitch slowly losing his vision has been a hard battle to fight, and it was made worse by the devastation of seeing the man I love slowly slip away with his sight.

As I went out of the room, I silently wished for strength, not only for Mitch but also for myself, for the tougher days we were bound to face.

---

A/N: Have you seen the "Typical Tuesday" gif? :)

Twitter/Tumblr/Instagram/Snapchat/Kik/Tablo: evekatalbas