Thinking Out Loud

“So, honey, now take me into your loving arms. Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars. Place your head on my beating heart. I’m thinking out loud that maybe we found love right where we are.”

Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran

---

Co-written with the amazingly talented and gorgeous GoBS aka feminenemy22. :)

Thank you so much, babe. <3

---

“Where are we going?” he whined. He has asked that question five times in the last thirty minutes.

“I told you. It’s a surprise.” I looked swiftly at him before turning my eyes back on the road.

“I hate surprises,” he huffed under his breath. “You know I hate surprises, Scottie.”

I reached for his hand and placed a gentle kiss on his knuckles. “Trust me, please?”

I looked at him just in time for me to see him roll his eyes. “Fine.”

I put his hand down but didn’t release it. I entwined his fingers in mine and hummed softly to the music playing in the background.

A couple of minutes later I pulled over in a secluded spot.

“Why did we stop? Is this your surprise?” He turned his head from side to side. “It’s just… trees around.”

“No, not yet. But I need you to wear…” I pulled out a blindfold from my pocket. “This.”

He took the silk blindfold from me and ran his fingers on the material. “You’re starting to scare me. Is this really necessary?”

I grinned at him. “Not 100% necessary but I’d like for you to wear it. Please?” I gave him a pouty frown.

For the second time that night, he rolled his eyes at me. “Whatever. Okay.”

I helped him wear it over his eyes. In a couple of seconds we were back on the road. “We’re almost there.”

Five minutes later we were at our destination. I parked the car, grabbed some stuff from the compartment, and helped Mitch get down. I took his hand and instructed him to walk slowly beside me. “We’re here,” I announced. “You can take it off now.”

Mitch removed the blindfold and squinted a few times. I watched as his took his surroundings in, watched as his eyes glowed and his mouth transformed into an “o” while he gasped. He turned his head to me. “Scott…”

His reaction was exactly what I expected. I smiled at him. “Wait right here.” I took the large blanket and arranged it on the ground. I grabbed the large picnic basket next and settled it on top of the blanket. I sat on one side and patted the space beside me. “Come, sit.”

Mitch sat beside me and took a deep breath. “It’s been years… Eight? Nine?”

“I thought you won’t remember.”

“I’ve always thought about this place. Didn’t we say we’d go back here or something?”

”We did. But then... things happened and work never stopped and I guess life just got in the way."

There was a momentary flicker of sadness in his eyes. "Yeah, I guess so."

Mitch and I fell silent for a few moments. We just stared at the beauty in front of us, a view of the city at night. It didn’t look significantly different, except maybe for the new buildings. The yellow lights were bright as ever, and interspersed were the whites, reds, blues and greens illuminating the different establishments. Cars filled the streets and people milled just about everywhere. The city was so alive, busy, hectic… like us.