Marry Your Daughter

"I'm gonna marry your princess and make her my queen. She'll be the most beautiful bride that I've ever seen. Can't wait to smile when she walks down the aisle on the arms of her father." 

Marry Your Daughter by Brian McKnight, Jr. & Niko McKnight

---

Kirstie's sweet voice filled the cathedral as the quartet played. Everybody was standing, watching us, watching her. She's the most beautiful she has ever been, with her long blonde locks loosely framing her face. Despite the veil I could clearly see her blue eyes shining with tears and the smile that I've always loved. Her gown is pristine white and perfect just like her, and giving a beautiful contrast was the bouquet of red roses she was holding.

She reached the middle of the aisle and I went to her side, locking her arm with mine. Scott did the same on the other side and we started walking as a family. I looked ahead and saw James with a big smile plastered on his face, eagerly waiting. My heart rejoiced and broke with each step I took towards the alter. This is really happening. I'm giving my baby away. 

When we finally reached the end, I held on to her hand tighter, not willing to let go just yet. I turned my head and faced her. "My princess..." I said, almost choking on my words. Despite my best efforts a tear escaped. I let go of her arm and faced her completely before pulling her into a tight embrace. "I love you, Princess," was all I could say as the tears started to flow freely. 

"I love you, too, Papa," Sarah said, hugging me back. She let out a little laugh when she pulled back. "You're ruining my mascara!"

I smiled in reply. I lifted the veil and kissed her on the cheek. 

Sarah turned to Scott, whose eyes were also already filled with tears. "Be happy, my princess. I love you," Scott said as he hugged her. 

"I will, Daddy. I love you, too," Sarah replied. Scott also lifted the veil and kissed her on the cheek. 

We all turned to face the altar and James stepped down. "Don't hurt my baby," I said while hugging him. 

"Papa, I won't. I promise," he whispered back.

I'm going to officially have a son soon. 

James walked over to Scott and hugged him as well. Then he extended his hand to Sarah and they both walked up to the altar.

Scott and I took our place and the ceremony started. I held on to his arm the entire time, and constantly wiped away the tears. I knew I was going to be emotional but I didn't expect to feel this torn about my baby getting married.

My mind wandered and memories of our little Sarah came flooding.

*****

"Scott," I whispered, looking up to him with tears in my eyes. "She's here. She's finally here." I gazed lovingly at the chubby little angel I was holding in my arms.

"She's beautiful," Scott said as he brushed his finger across her cheek.

"I love her so much already and I've only met her. Is that possible?" I pulled her closer to me.

"Babe, we've been waiting for her. Of course we already love her," he replied. "She has my hair. I hope she doesn't have my eyebrows." He gently ran his hand over the infant's head.

I chuckled. "She's gotta learn to do brow make-up if she follows after you."

The baby opened her eyes and blinked a couple of times. I saw the most beautiful shade of blue I have ever seen in my entire life.