God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You

“The warmth of your smile. The heart of a child.”

God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You by N Sync

---

"And they lived happily ever after," I smiled then closed the book.

Angel looked up to me, eyes half-closed. "Nooo. Papa, one more please? One more bedtime story."

I was seated beside her on the bed. "Cupcake, you need to rest." I put an arm over her tiny shoulders. "You've got a long day tomorrow."

"Papa's right, cupcake. You need your beauty rest," Scott said. He was seated beside Angel's bed.

"But you said I'm already beautiful. Why do I still need to get beauty rest?" Her eyebrows furrowed as she looked between me and Scott.

I couldn't help the chuckle that escaped my lips. "You're too smart for your own good, cupcake. You need to rest so that you'll grow big and beautiful."

"Like Auntie Jessica?" she asked, referring to my sister.

"Yes, cupcake, just like Auntie Jessica."

She thought about it for a while before she smiled. "I like Auntie Jessica. We have the same hair and eyes. Chocolate brown - that's what you call it, right?"

I nodded. "Yes, cupcake."

"Daddy?" she turned to Scott.

"Hmmm?" Scott leaned in closer and perched his chin on his hand.

"Can I be a... policewoman when I grow up?" Angel had on her serious face on and she looked so adorable.

"Why do you want to be one?"

"Cause I want to fight the bad guys," she grinned. Then she added in a whisper, "and I want to hold a gun!" She giggled and I swear my heart melted just hearing her laugh.

Scott smiled back at her before replying. "Fighting bad guys is good, cupcake, but maybe not the gun. That's dangerous!"

Her eyebrows furrowed again. "Can I be a hairdresser then?" she turned to look at me.

"And you want that because...?" I asked.

"So I can cut your hair, Papa! You always say you hate the one on your forehead. I'll cut it so you don't have to worry about it!" she said it like it was the most genius idea she has ever come up with.

"Maybe we should keep you away from the scissors? I might wake up one day with an unexpected haircut!" I laughed.

"Oh, oh! Can I be a singer? Like you and Daddy! So I can go to shows, too. I'm always sad when you leave." The drop in her voice, along with the frown, instantly changed the mood in the room.

Scott and I exchanged looks. I sighed. "Cupcake, don't worry, no more tours for Papa and Daddy for the mean time."

It was amazing how her face did a 360. She was grinning again and she hugged me by the waist. "You promise that, Papa?" She looked at me with wide and hopeful eyes.

"Daddy and I promise, cupcake."

"So I don't have to be a singer like you?"

"Cupcake, you can be anything you want to be. Daddy and I will love you just the same and we will support you."

"I can be a dancer like Auntie Lauren?"

"Absolutely," I replied with a smile.

"Can I... Uhm..." she put a finger to her chin and pouted her lips.