A Thousand Years

"All along I believed I would find you. Time has brought your heart to me. I have loved you for a thousand years."

A Thousand Years by Christina Perri

---

"Pizza and chips?"

"Check."

"Beers and soda and water?"

"Check."

"Pillows?"

"Check."

"Blankets?"

"Check."

"DVR ready?"

"Uhuh."

"So we're all set?" Scott asked with a grin.

I nodded. "Yep."

We both settled on the couch and snuggled close together, making sure we were both comfortable. It was a Friday night, and we had planned on doing a How To Get Away With Murder marathon instead of going out. I thought it was cute that he wanted to run through everything before settling down. He hated it when we had to pause whatever we were watching because we needed something. He wanted everything within reach and he didn't want distractions.

"Wait." Scott grabbed my hand as I was about to press on the remote. "One more thing."

"What?" I asked, looking up at him.

"This." He leaned down and pressed his lips onto mine.

I gasped since I was caught off guard, and he took the opportunity to deepen the kiss. My brain took a few seconds to process but it finally signaled my lips to respond. My arms were already around his waist and I tightened my hug.

He pulled away gently when we both needed to break the kiss to breathe. He flashed me a boyish smile. "Now we're really all set."

I shook my head and chuckled faintly. I reached for the box of pizza on the coffee table and grabbed a slice each for the both of us. I handed him his slice before I snuggled back to him.

We watched the show in relative comfortable silence - that is if my gasps and the muffled noises I made didn't count. I was a scaredy cat and terrible at watching thrillers. Technically the show wasn't categorized as such, but I felt that it should have been with all the twisted scenes. He already predicted how I would react so he held me closer whenever I cried out.

It came to a point where I felt so tense I could hear the drumming of my heart in my ears. I was going to ask him for a time out, but I saw that he was so engrossed in what we were watching. I knew he was a sucker for those kinds of shows so I decided to tune out the sound coming from the television. I figured I could always catch up on the show when he was at work and I could pause whenever I wanted to. Or I could just read synopses online. I wound my arms tighter around his waist and rested my head on his chest, just above his heart. It was my favorite thing to do.

I felt him kiss the top of my head and give my shoulder a squeeze.

I closed my eyes and focused on the beating of his heart. It was fast but steady, and definitely not as rapid as mine was. I mentally counted along to every beat, and willed myself to calm down. The drumming in my ears slowly faded away until I could clearly hear every sound his heart made. One would think it was a difficult task. However it was something I had done countless times. Scott's heartbeat was my personal sedative, my own anxiolytic.

I reveled in the rhythmic sounds his heart made and continued to drown out everything else. It didn't take long before sleep claimed me.

*****