Chapter 10

Chapter 10

My eyes fluttered open. The first thing I saw was the head of a little girl.

“Unnie~ Can you please get up so we can play on the slide?” She pouted

“Ah, yeah,” I crawled out of the tunnel slide and grabbed my bag.

“Thank you!” The little girl and her friends started to play happily on the playground

I scratched my head and started to walk out of the park.

‘Where to now genius? For goodness sake's, why would you just leave like that!’

“If I didn't leave, I would have to deal with his hurtful words. I have had it with everyone treating me like garbage! I don't care if I have to live back on the streets. I have done before. I can do it again” I argued with my conscience

‘Back in America you had an abandoned factory to live in. Here in Korea, all you have is the bare streets.’

“I’ll figure this out,” I kept repeating quietly over and over.

My stomach growled. I sighed rubbing my empty tummy. I was walking past an alley where I saw an old hat. I put the hat on and tilted it over my eyes covering my eyes slightly. I pulled my jacket hood up and sat against a wall.

‘This is how they beg in the movies, right?’

I felt my face heat up in embarrassment. What on earth am I doing!? I quickly stood up and grabbed my bag. I took the hat off and threw it on the floor. I started walking like nothing happened. I sighed. Maybe that sweet cafe employee can lend me a small dessert. i walked down the familiar path. I walked into the cafe and looked around. No sweet cafe boy. I frowned. I turned to leave but then bumped into someone. 

“Oops, Sorry,” I said bowing my head.

“Hey Buttercup! Back already?” 

Sweet Cafe Boy!

“Oh! Hello…”

“Eric, Eric Nam. Your name is…?”

“O-oh! Kim Hee Young is my name!” I laughed nervously

‘How do I explain my situation to him. I can’t just be like ‘Oh, I left my home and I'm starving. please give me food’

“What can i get for you today, Buttercup?” He asked putting an arm on my back and walking me towards the counter

He walked behind the counter then flashed me one of his pearly-white smiles. I blushed and shook my head.