// fifteen //

•Afterthoughts•

••••••

••••••

S E E I N G  H E R  G R A N D P A  always left Reina in a place of comfort, somewhere she felt welcomed to, and after Mateo's health scare she enjoyed his presence a million times more.

It was the long recess which gave Reina some time to go to her grandpa's, seeing him sit outside on a comfortable armchair, Rubi by his side as the two love-birds looked at the tree tops, naming all birds they could see. Reina watched, still not showing herself as a smile gifted her face, she was happy Mateo had someone as strong and loving as Rubi.

The girl continued to observe the two warmly dressed lovers until her grandpa caught onto the redhead as she hid on the side of the house, his smile going up. "Reina! What a surprise!" he exclaimed causing Reina to see no point in hiding anymore.

"Hey!" Reina waved, not realizing she was running towards the two people, both grinning when they saw a new skip in the girl's step, a good sign after months of Reina's torture with herself. Reina stopped and leaned down to kiss Mateo's cheek, moving onto Rubi as the woman stood up, giving a proper hug to Reina, the redhead chuckling at Rubi's love for her. "Hi, sorry for this surprise visit. I had some time so Henrik dropped me by."

Mateo continued to sit, looking sick yet again so Reina frowned, knowing he was still recovering. Hopefully, he was actually listening to doctors, doing nothing to strain his already weak heart. Reina knew how much he hated having to just sit or be on bedrest, but Mateo was also doing it for others, for people who loved him. "It's alright, darling. Sit down, it's been a while," Mateo mused, tapping on the chair Rubi previously sat down, Reina glancing at the woman for permission since she suddenly felt like she was interrupting.

Rubi, however, only chuckled and sat Reina down. "Sit, sit, I was growing bored of Mateo either way," the woman joked dryly, kissing his cheek so the man chuckled, Reina smiling when she saw true love between them. Her mind traveled to her parents and she had a hard time finding moments like these that would make her decision different. "I'll make us all some tea, green, right?"

Reina nodded, thanking the blonde so she entered the house, leaving Reina only with her grandpa. "How are you holding up?" he asked her gently, taking her hand in his. Reina noticed after his heart attack Mateo became more sentimental, showing more love for everyone, even if he was already a loving person. Reina knew he realized time was thinning and wanted to spend more time with his loved ones. Such thought left Reina emotional, but she held up quite well, giving Mateo a squeeze.

"I should be asking you this," she mused playfully, fixing Mateo's blanket on his legs, the man rolling his eyes and looking at his garden again. "It's still holding up well."

Mateo mused, showing a hint of dissatisfaction he wasn't able to manage his own yard, his temple because he couldn't work physically anymore. "Well, your father's making sure it's kept well, sent two men the other day to trim the roses... Weird man he is," he sighed, Reina disliking that their conversation was already heading towards Alejandro. "Don't get me wrong, sweetheart, but even if he's less shitty now, I still don't like that man."