// fourteen //

•Mother's Daughter•

••••••

••••••

S U S A N A  F E L T  L I K E  she had enough of being ignored by her eldest daughter. The whole situation was messy in the first place, Susana never meant to kiss her husband back, more so for Reina to see. Her reaction was expected at best, Reina must have felt like history would soon repeat itself, but it wasn't true, at least in Susana's eyes.

Alejandro was changing and finally becoming a man Susana thought she'd be happy with, someone who she always saw despite Alejandro's cold demeanor. Nevertheless, Susana wanted what was best for her girls so she knew she had to talk to Reina, to explain and listen.

It was still very early in the morning when Reina walked into the living room, already in her school uniform, sleepy and very unpleased to find her mother waiting. Reina paused for a second before moving to grab some fruit on the way, having a session with Salvador before school this time since he was still busy with taking other doctor's patients. Reina didn't mind, though, she was an early person and it wasn't like she slept a lot lately. Yet again worrying about Valerio and Polo.

Susana watched Reina quietly approach the fridge, her eyes not even landing on the mother ever since she walked in on them kissing. "I'm still your mother, you know," Susana went straight to the point, knowing it was pointless to beat around the bush.

Reina rolled her eyes expressively, still annoyed by what happened between her father and mother. She felt like Susana was coming back to her old self, someone without a word in the house. After seeing her mom break free, her going back to Alejandro was the most hurtful thing. "You misunderstood the situation, sweetheart," Susana explained further, Reina not hiding a snicker as she took out an apple and closed the fridge a little too forcefully.

"Yeah, just saw my father kiss my mother when they're supposed to be divorcing," Reina commented dully, bitting into the apple as she faced her mother's stony look calmly, leaning against the kitchen counter. Reina knew she didn't have time to chat, but Susana had to plead her case since Reina saw it as nothing but Alejandro winning her over again.

Susana tilted her head to a side, looking fed up and yet unaware of what else to say. "That's not the craziest thing our family has gone through," she tried to joke, leaving Reina to just eat her breakfast in silence, the mother exhaling a little too annoyingly. "Reina, nothing's going on between us. Sure, I was surprised to see him here, even pleased to see him have a good time with Maria, but it was just a momentary moment, I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way."

Reina listened, not knowing how to answer her mother, who spoke with such happiness, seeing a change in Alejandro as another chance. Reina felt like she was a little selfish, not wanting for her parents to get back together, but she had a decent reason for it. "He wants to get you back," Reina admitted then, Susana immediately getting taken aback, but Reina noticed the pleasant smile grace her lips for a second. "He told me he wanted my help. Imagine... My help after everything he's put me through?"