Now the battle begins

Marian felt something soft rub against her face as she stirred the next morning

Marian felt something soft rub against her face as she stirred the next morning. She slowly opened her eyes, only to become face to face with her wolfhound.

"Percy!" She said, laughing and stroking his head "hello, boy! How on earth did you get here?"
"He came with me" Marian looked over to the window
"Meg! What-who- how did you get here?"
"Your mother sent for us!" Meg said with a smile, moving over to sit at the end of the bed, leaning against one of the wooden posts.
"But...how did she know to get you?"
"She has eyes and ears everywhere, Marian...which is why if you are going to send letters to people then you need to be secretive about it! Not just leave your letters lying around where anyone could find them!" She produced the letter Marian had written the night before "I took it last night in case any of the servants saw it when they came to light the fire and decided to show it to your mother"

"Do you know what's inside..."
"Not a clue! But I can tell it's important to you. Who do I need to make sure it gets to?"
"You would do that for me Meg? You would help me get this to England?"
"Of course! And England...you're not on the Lancastrian side, are you?"

Marian shook her head, Percy lay down beside her, tail pounding against the covers.
"Well I suppose that's a good thing! Although you need to be careful about what you are going to do, Marian. If anyone finds out you are not with your mother..."
"I know, I know! I need to tread carefully! Can you get that letter to Richard?"
"Richard, eh?" Meg said with a smirk
"It's not what you think, Meg! It's a letter of warning, not of love"

"Love? Now we really are getting somewhere!"
"Oh, enough of that" Marian said, trying her hardest to be annoyed with her friend but failing as she felt a smile creep onto her face "can you get the letter to him?"
"As if happens, I have some family not far from here who hate Lancaster so I would say there is a pretty good chance this letter shall reach its intended destination!"
"Thank you!"

A knock came from the door and the two girls whipped their heads round.
"Enter" Marian called
A young girl entered and curtsied low.
"Forgive me, your grace, the Queen requests your presence in her chambers"
"Thank you, tell her I shall be there as soon as I can"

"Yes, your grace." The girl curtsied again before scurrying out of the room, head bowed
"My lord it's been a long time since I was called 'your grace' Marian said, flopping back on the pillows "it just doesn't seem right anymore..."

"Well, we need to get you ready if you are going to see your mother, don't we? Have you seen your wardrobe yet?" Meg asked
"No..."

"I have never seen so many red gowns in my life! I shall get you one and then I will do your hair! I'm thinking a braid of some sort?" Meg walked over to one of the large chests
"That would be lovely, Meg" Marian replied, staring up at the ceiling, her mind elsewhere as her friend readied her for the day.

Around an hour later, Marian exited her chambers, Percy dutifully trotting beside her, the long, hanging sleeves of her gown trailing along the stone passageway, As she passed servants and Lords alike they all bowed to her. It felt very strange to Marian, for four years she had become accustomed to being just a lady, now (apparently) she was a Princess again and she found herself back in the spotlight.