Vows

December 1470,

December 1470,

Marian could see the young girl before her shaking a little as she laced up the back of her gown.

It was the wedding day of Anne and Edward and Marian could tell her friend was dreading it. For days now, Anne had been almost silent, simply staring off into the distance. Marian had tried to talk to her, to try to comfort her and support her but the Neville girl was distant and unresponsive to her constant efforts.

Marian understood her emotions. Anne was barely 14 and was getting married already! Yes, it was quite a common occurrence for girls of that age to be married but that didn't make it any less of a intimidating prospect.
"What will it be like?" Anne suddenly said, so quietly that Marian had to strain her ears to catch her friend's words.
"What will what be like, Anne?"
"After the wedding..."
"Oh, um..." Marian hardly knew what to tell her. She knew a little bit about the art of love making, but nothing in great detail. So, she decided to tell Anne what she had over heard from one of her mother's ladies many many years ago. "I have heard...that it hurts a little bit...but then it feels quite nice"

Anne nodded and faced forward once again as Marian fastened a necklace around her throat.
"Would you like me to walk with you? Down the isle I mean" Marian asked. Anne turned, a small ray of relief showing on her face
"You would do that? You would do that for me, Marian?"
"Of course I would!" She replied, taking Anne's hands in her own "I know that you are nervous and I wish to stay by your side if it would help" the younger girl smiled slightly
"I would like that very much...thank you..."

The two girls stepped into the ice cold chapel and began the long walk to the altar. Slipping her hand into Anne's, Marian gave it a gentle squeeze, assuring her that she was by her side. Looking ahead, Edward and Margaret stood by the Priest, along with Countess Warwick, all looked austere , staring at the two approaching. Once they reached the altar, Marian felt Anne reluctantly drop her hand as she knelt by Edward who refused to even acknowledge her. Marian felt a pang of pain in her heart for Anne, if only Lancaster had not won...

After the marriage vows were exchanged the couple rose from their knees and were escorted out of the chapel to their wedding feast. Marian had hoped that she could sit next to Anne, hopefully make her feel a little better but as fate would have it, she was seated next to her mother on the opposite side of the table! Throughout the evening Marian hardly ate a thing, simply kept an eye on her friend, a fierce sense of protection for the younger girl burning bright inside of her. Anne hardly looked up from her plate the whole time, simply played with her rings or the sleeves of her golden gown.

When it was finally time to prepare the couple for the marriage bed, Marian rose to assist Anne but her mother stopped her, placing a hand on the sleeve of her gown.
"She does not need you, ma chérie.The other ladies shall attend to her. You forget, you are a Princess. A Princess of Lancaster no less"
"So is she now, ma mére"

Margaret simply 'hm'd" in response and popped a grape into her mouth. Knowing she was defeated, Marian waited a while before going to stand outside the royal bedchamber where she waited for her brother. As he passed she caught his arm.

"Ed?"
"What is it, Marian?"
"Be gentle with her...please..."
Edward looked at her for a moment before walking into the chamber and shutting the door. After a minute or two, the ladies who had attended Anne filed out of the room, curtsying as they passed Marian. She was about to go in when she was once again stopped by her mother.
"There is no need for you to be here, Marian. I think it would be best if you retired to your chambers for the night" She said. Marian felt annoyance surge through her and she dropped a short curtesy before she trudged to her room where Meg was waiting for her.

"I cannot believe it! What does my mother mean by not letting me help Anne! Can she not see that she is terrified?"
"Your mother...perhaps she feels you are growing too close with Anne? She needs reassurance that you really are with Lancaster and although Anne may be a part of Lancaster now, she is from a York family and therefore your mother may hold suspicions"

Marian flopped down into a chair in front of the fireplace.
"I asked Edward to be gentle with her but I'm not sure if he will heed me...by God I hope he does"
"As do I"
Marian quickly changed into her nightgown and said goodnight to Meg who retired to the servants quarters.

She got into the bed, blew out the lone candle on her bedside table and shut her eyes, letting the darkness consume her. Marian was just dropping off when she heard her door open suddenly and a pair of small hands shake her.
"Marian! Marian" it was Anne
"Anne! Are you ok?!" Marian could feel the girl shaking so she quickly reached over and lit a candle. What she saw in the dim light, shocked her. Anne's hair was a mess, her cheeks sodden with tears (which were still flowing) and the front of her nightgown was slightly ripped.

What had her brother done...

"Oh Anne..." Marian felt her heart breaking for the girl and quickly gathered her into her arms. Anne began to sob violently, clinging onto Marian for dear life. "Shhhh...shhhh...it will be well...you are with me now...it will all be well..." Marian stroked the girl's hair, feeling tears of her own slide down her cheeks.

Once Anne had calmed down, she was exhausted and Marian told her that she could stay in her room for the night. She could tell Anne didn't want to be alone and definitely not with Edward. Marian fetched her a new nightgown and warmed a bowl of water by the now dying fire, gently patting Anne's face with a damp cloth to wipe away the tears.

After tucking her friend into bed, Marian sang a soft lullaby to her, slowly luring her into sleep until Marin could hear Anne breathing softly, finally at peace for a while.

Marian wanted to kill Edward. Picking up her dagger from her desk she twirled it around in her hands, thinking of how nice it would be at that moment to plunge the weapon straight into Edward's chest. What on earth had he done to Anne? He had hurt her, badly.

How could he even think to harm her?! Anne, who was so sweet, so innocent! Anne who wouldn't hurt a fly...he had harmed.

Marian looked over to the bed, watching Anne's sleeping form for a moment before putting down the blade and quietly slipping under the covers beside her.
One thing was certain, Marian wasn't going to let Anne be hurt again by anyone, ever.

Nothing and no one would get in her way, she vowed. Not even her formidable mother.