Sweet Child of Mine

August 17th, 1473,

August 17th, 1473,

Standing in the garden, a blue veil covering her loose hair; no crown on her head, Marian selected the best white roses to decorate the great hall for Edmund's 10th birthday celebrations which were to take place later that day and well into the night.

"What about this one Anne?" She asked, turning to her friend who held a basket full of bright blooms.
"It is perfect, Marian!" She replied and then reached out "what about this one? It looks as if it has only just flowered, shall definitely last the night without wilting"

"You have such a good eye for these things, Anne! Lord, we have not done something such as this since we were at Middleham!" Her friend smiled sadly in reply and the Queen put a hand on her arm "you miss it, don't you?"
"I do" Anne said "I miss Minster Lovell as well..."
"But Middleham has always been your true home?" Marian finished and Anne nodded "I miss Middleham too, as do the children! I have asked Richard if we may return there...just for a little bit, for my birthday perhaps? But, he says we must remain in London for the time being...although he is to go to York in September"
"You are trying to convince him to let you go with him I hope?" Anne laughed

"Every hour of the day!" The Queen replied "it seems that he shall agree soon enough...I think I shall ask him again tonight" she smirked and cut another rose from the bush "when he is a little more...relaxed"

"Mama!" Lisbet called, now appearing with Meg by her side "mama! Look what Meg and I found!" She thrust forward a handful of perfect white roses and Marian smiled, took the flowers from her daughter's hand and placed them in Anne's basket.

"Why, they are perfect, my dears! Thank you!"
"We knew you would like them, mama! Edmund shall as well!" Meg commented, peering into the basket before looked back to her mother "can I go to the stables, mama?" She asked; Lisbet grinned
"Yes! Can I go too! Galahad has finally arrived but none of the others know it yet! Only Meg and I! Therefore we should like to see him before he is surrounded and all his attention taken!"

Marian placed a hand on Lisbet shoulder and kissed her cheek
"Go" she said, smiling and now looking to Meg "and try to keep the news from the boys for as long as possible! Particularly Ned and Dickon for if they know of Galahad's arrival there shall be no keeping them from the stables and they must look presentable at Ed's birthday celebrations tonight...as must you so do be careful"
"We shall mama!" Lisbet said, grabbing her younger sister's hand and running from the garden in the direction of the stables.

"I shouldn't worry about the boys, Marian" Anne said, putting another rose in her basket "if Galahad has arrived then that shall mean Arthur and Gwen have as well and you do know how much your sons do love those two dogs"
"Aye, that be true!" Marian agreed "there, I think that should be enough roses, I shall have the servants collect the rest!"
"As you wish, your grace"
Marian elbowed Anne playfully, linking her arm with hers.