Reunited

After taking a hot bath, Marian sat by the window of the room she had been housed in, overlooking the priory garden, rays of evening sun streaming through

After taking a hot bath, Marian sat by the window of the room she had been housed in, overlooking the priory garden, rays of evening sun streaming through. Picking up the small brush that lay beside her, she began to pull it through her hair, letting her thick brown tresses flow freely down to her waist.

As she brush she started to allow her mind to process the events of the day: what had happened, who was dead and so on and so fourth. Most importantly, what her mother must think of her now. Marian found that although she could not help thinking of how her family would feel about her betrayal despite it being what she knew was the right decision.

Margaret would be raving. Absolutely furious no doubt. Her brother would probably be plotting to put her head on a spike. And her father? He probably wouldn't even know that it had happened and even if he were told, he probably wouldn't remember her...and what about Meg? Did she get away? Was she heading to the York encampment like she was supposed to? Or was she dead somewhere in the woods...

Marian became so lost in her thoughts that the world around her faded, the brush gently slipping from her hand and onto the blue gown she was wearing, her hair now silky smooth, falling in soft waves down her back with some strands slipping over her shoulders and across her face. She was so distant from reality that she didn't hear the small knock at the door and the sound of the latch lifting; the soft padding of boots on the wooden floor.

"Marian..." his voice startled her. It was quiet, almost disbelieving as if he didn't think she was really there, sitting by the window. Marian slowly turned to face the boy, no, man that now stood before her. Richard. The blood and mud from the battle was now gone from his face, replaced with a warm -yet nervous- smile.
"Richard..." she whispered, rising and making her way over to where he stood.

For a few moments the two stood opposite each other, not daring to reach out for fear that either might vanish but at last Marian slowly raised her hand, letting it settle on Richard's cheek. He smiled again.
Before she could do anything else Marian found herself engulfed in a fierce hug. She quickly wrapped her arms around Richard's neck and leaned against him, closing her eyes. She felt safe.

"I have missed you so much, Marian." He whispered into her hair.
"And I you" she replied, not wanting the embrace to end
"You do not know how much I wanted to write back to you every time one of your letters arrived..."

"I'm glad you didn't!" Marian laughed "imagine what would have happened if the letters had been found! It would have ended everything!"
Suddenly Richard pulled away, cupping her face with his hands
"It is really you, isn't it? I'm not in a dream? If I am it's a very good one..."
"You are not in a dream, Richard! I am here and so are you!"
"I still think I should check"
"And how do you intend to do that?"
"Like this..."