Return to Westminster

December 1469

December 1469...

After Edward's return, the York's and Marian quickly made their way back to Westminster palace. Christmas was just around the corner but there had been a disagreement between the King and Queen.
Instead of executing Warwick, Edward had promised Princess Elizabeth in marriage to his nephew who he had also made the Duke of Bedford. Elizabeth had sworn that Lizzie would never marry Warwick's nephew and Marian also swore to do everything she could to prevent little Lizzie from having to go through with this arrangement. Still, Christmas was one of her favourite times of year and she was determined to be merry...

༒༒༒

Marian walked down the stairs, the small train of her light blue dress flowing behind her, and hearing the sound of hooves on cobble, went to join Elizabeth and Jaquetta at who were standing by one of the windows

"They're coming here for Christmas..." Jaquetta said
"Who is?" Marian asked as she peered over the Queens shoulder. It was the Nevilles and George. She inhaled sharply "Have they no shame? You are not even out of mourning! Maybe with them close to us our curse can do it's work?"
"Yes...that may help" the Queen said quietly "I shall make Isabel and Anne my ladies in waiting." And with that she turned and headed off down the corridor towards her chambers while Jaquetta and Marian stayed, waiting anxiously to see what would happen next.

Edward and Richard appeared at the top of the steps, Edward slowly walking down them, Richard remaining by the door.
"Welcome to Court. Warwick, George. The prodigals return" the King said stonily
Marian took Jaquetta's hand, knowing how much pain the situation must be causing her.

However, Edward suddenly embraced Warwick and then his brother, Lady Rivers turned away and walked away in the direction the Queen had taken, not being able to watch the reunion any longer. Marian followed her, her anger rising with each step she took.

As she entered the Queens rooms she found Elizabeth sitting on her throne, Jaquetta beside her. Marian curtseyed and went to stand at the other side.
"I have commanded that Countess Warwick and her daughters have an audience with me. They shall know who commands their fates by the time I am finished" Elizabeth spoke with a fierce determination, anger surging through her veins.

The large doors opened and a servant stepped through
"The Countess of Warwick and her daughters Lady Isabel, Duchess of Clarence and Lady Anne" The servant bowed and moved aside and the three 'guests' entered the room, all looking slightly afraid.
"Your grace" the countess said, sweeping into a low curtsey, her daughters following suit. "Lady Rivers..."

Jaquetta stared on ahead, not acknowledging their presence. "I am sorry for your loss"
"By which you mean the brutal slaying of the Queen's father and brother who were innocent of any crime in all their lives and merely obedient to their Lord and King?" said Marian, glaring at Countess Warwick.
"In the fortunes of war" the woman began
"It was not war" Elizabeth hissed "This was no honourable death on a battlefield, it was murder and it was treason in the eyes of God and man."
"Your grace..."
"Be quiet" the Queen ordered.