The Yew Garden

"George and Isabel have been holding her captive it seems" Marian raised her eyebrows in surprise "Isabel?! Surely she wouldn't do that to her own sister

"Isabel?! Surely she wouldn't do that to her own sister..."
"You were right...Anne was right, I think George's plan is to take the Neville fortune for himself." The Countess dropped Richard's hand and began to pace back and forth across the room.

"Well, you have your evidence now! We need to stop him! We need to get Anne out of Westminster to safety for it is clear that she is not safe here, Richard!"
"I agree" he replied "I told her to meet me in the yew garden after dinner, I said I would be waiting there for her but Edward has ordered that I stay at the feast as he has 'important matters' to speak to me about"
"I shall go!" Marian announced as he finished "I shall meet her and speak to her. I shall go right after the feast .We have to act quickly"
Richard nodded and opened the door as she rushed past, following her after a few moments.

Upon her return to the hall, Marian took her seat once again next to her friend and quietly informed her of what Richard had said. Meg had instantly suggested that she take charge of the royal children alone until Marian had returned and Marian thanked her gratefully. The rest of the day went by slowly, as Marian waited for the feast to be over and the damning sun to set.

At last the time came and she was able to make her escape from the lovely hall and make her way out into the gardens. Snow had begun to fall once again and the countess shivered as the freezing winter air hit her but she didn't stop for a moment. She knew she needed to do this and so she carried on along the snow covered paths, tripping up on her feet every so often in the darkness, attempting to see where she was going.

Shielding herself from the icy weather behind a tree, Marian waited for Anne, but as time passed she began to worry as the younger girl had not appeared. What if she had been caught? What if she had been locked away or kidnapped or even killed?! Marian's thoughts ran wild with 'what ifs' each growing worse and worse with each minute that past until she heard a quiet call from behind her.

"Hello?" The voice said "Richard? Is anyone there?"
"Anne!" Marian called, coming out from behind the tree and rushing towards the youngest Neville.

"Marian!" Anne cried as she ran forward and embraced her friend "George is going to put me in a nunnery! You have to help me, Marian!"
"I will, I will!" Marian assured her "I'm so sorry for what has happened to you, Anne! When Richard and I brought you back to Westminster, to Isabel, we thought we were bringing you to safety! On my word I had no idea what would result"

Anne's startled expression quickly turned into a frown.
"George held me captive and yet you knew nothing of it?" She said
"I did not"
"For six months no one, save my sister and her ever present flock of ladies has seen me from one day...one week, to the next...didn't you wonder where I was?"
Marian stepped towards Anne again and took her hands in her own.