A Feast for Victory

Eventually she found her room and a new dress laid out at the end of the bed

Eventually she found her room and a new dress laid out at the end of the bed. It was a deep red colour, the fabric a heavy velvet with long hanging sleeves. There was a necklace on top of the fabric, a small oval ruby hanging on a gold chain. Marian was sure she recognised it but she couldn't quite put her finger on where.

The same maid from before entered the room and began to help prepare Marian for the feast.
"What is your name?" Marian asked as the maid was lacing up the back of her dress.
"Meg, my lady" the girl replied
"Please, call me Marian!" She could feel the girl smile at this and decided that she liked her. She didn't trust her, no, how could she? However, if it meant that she had a friend here at court (no matter how short the length of time she was there) then Marian was more than willing to make an effort. Maybe Meg would even help her with her escape if she was lucky enough?

Meg was a wonder at hair! She had worked for half an hour on Marians brown locks, twisting and braiding them into a beautiful creation, sliding in pins and the odd ribbon here and there to keep everything in place. Marian stared at herself in the mirror
"I really wish I had met you sooner Meg!" She said bringing up a hand to gently touch one of the braids "you simply are a wonder at this!" Meg smiled and curtseyed before slipping out of the room, blushing from Marian's compliments.

When Meg had gone Marian looked around to make sure the doors and windows were shut before heading over to her old dress. Carefully she searched through the layers until she found was she was looking for. She pulled out a silver dagger with a gold pattern on the hilt. It had been a gift from her mother on her 12th birthday. How long ago that seemed...Slipping it up part of her sleeve, Marian sat on the bed and waited to be summoned by the Queen.

༒༒༒

Around half an hour later a small tap came at her door and Meg entered
"The Queen is ready for you, my - I mean, Marian"
"Thank you Meg" she said with a smile
"Do you want me to take you there?"
"Yes, that would be most helpful, thank you"
Marian thought that she could probably find her own way but she didn't want the risk of having another run in with the Duke of Clarence or any other York if she could help it! So, together Meg and Marian made their way along the touch lit corridors of Westminster until they reached the doors of the Queens rooms as they had done earlier.

"I will be at the feast serving food at one of the tables if you need me at any point this evening" Meg said, gently putting a hand on Marian's arm and smiling before scurrying away towards the great hall.

The guards stepped aside and let Marian enter the Queens rooms where Elizabeth was waiting.
"Ah! Marian, there you are!" The Queen called
"I hope I didn't keep you waiting, your grace" Marian said, once again attempting a curtesy
"Not at all! You are here before my mother and she is never late!" As if on cue, Jaquetta Rivers swept through the doors smiling at her daughter and Marian.
"I think the feast has started, my dears" she said "Are you both ready?"
"Yes, mother"
"Good, good. I should like a to have a word in private with Lady Marian if that is agreeable to you both?" Elizabeth and Marian nodded.
"I shall inform the Edward that you shall be with us as soon as you are finished" the Queen said and with that she closed the doors and her footsteps faded away.