Life and Death

February 1476, Middleham, Marian is 22

"How could he do this to me? Now Edward attempts to buy my honour!" Richard yelled, turning away from the wooden chest the King had sent, filled to the brim with coins of silver and gold "he confuses me with my brother George" he continued, lowering his voice to a hiss "he does not even know me"

"Then send it back!" Marian commented, rising from where she had been sitting at the long table, cradling her now very swollen belly. She walked over to Richard and scooped a fistful of coins from the chest, shuffling them around her palm with her fingers "show him you do not care for wealth" Richard shook his head at her.

"The insult has been paid now" he said as she threw the coins back on top of the pile "though everything I thought I knew has been shaken...perhaps there is no honour in anyone and each of us is alone" now it was Marian's turn to shake her head, following her husband as he left the table and went to stand before the window.

"We are not alone" she quickly contradicted, taking his hand which he squeezed softly in response "we have each other, we have Eddie and Lisbet" Marian moved his hand to her belly where a little kick could be felt, making Richard instantly smile "and very soon we shall have another"
"You are right, ma belle" he responded, his voice now calmer as he wrapped an arm about her shoulders, keeping his hand on her stomach so that he could feel the child kick again "we have each other and we always will"

"My lady!" A servant's voice called out "there is a letter for you"
"Thank you" the Duchess replied as she took the folded paper and broke the gleaming wax seal. As soon as it was opened, her eyes began to quickly scan the page, her expression turning from one of happiness to one of concern.

"What is it, love?" Richard asked, noticing his wife's change in expression. When she did not reply, concern of his own began to rise.
"It-it is from Anne..." Marian said at last, lowering the letter "Isabel has given birth to a boy"
"Well then that is cause for joy is it not?" Her husband interrupted. She shook her head
"Isabel is ill, Richard...very ill...Anne has gone to see her and hopes she will recover but..."

Francis suddenly shot through the door, darting to Marian and snatching her hands. His face was flushed and stained with tears, he was breathing rapidly as if he had just run a mile.
"Marian" he said urgently "I'm so sorry"
Marian frowned
"Sorry?" She repeated slowly "W-whatever for, Francis..."
"Isabel of course"
"Isabel?" She whispered "what of her Francis?"

All the crimson colour drained from his face, leaving him as pale as a ghost, he rose abruptly; recoiled as if someone had just struck him.

"Dear god" he breathed "do not tell me that you didn't receive the letter..."
"Well, yes" Marian replied, holding up the now crumpled piece of parchment. Francis looked at it and slowly shook his head. A moment later the same servant that had delivered the letter returned, face full of anguish as he held up a second one. One with a black seal.