Time and chance

August 1473, Middleham, one year later, Marian is 20

"I wonder if it shall be a girl or a boy" Marian wondered aloud and she placed her hands on her swelled stomach.
"I'm not sure I do mind, love" her husband replied from where he was sitting in their chamber by the window "as long as you and the child are well" Marian smiled to herself. Most men demanded sons from their wives, but not Richard.

For the past year they had been living at Middleham together, in a state of uninterrupted happiness. Middleham was so peaceful and yet had its share of excitement when needed for things were bound to go amiss sometimes. The Duchess had developed friendships with the others who resided at Middleham, such as Rob Percy, and Francis Lovell, she thought them very fun to be around and loved to listen to them and Richard talk of their boyhood at the castle.

Harry Stafford had also been there since Christmas and Marian found him quite amusing, always complaining about his wife, Catherine Woodville, or sparring with one of the other men in the courtyard. She liked all who were at Middleham and they liked her as well but not only had she won the hearts of Richard's friends, she had also won the hearts of the people of Middleham! They appeared not to remember her Lancastrian lineage and simply accepted her as one of their own. They adored her.

A loud knock came from the door and Richard called for the person to enter. It was Harry.
"Harry!" Marian said in greeting "what brings you here?" She could see he was rather out of breath, his cheeks flushed with colour
"A letter...from Westminster" he replied. Holding out the folded paper he had in his hand.
"Thank you" Marian said and he bowed slightly before bounding out of the room. The duchess cracked the red wax seal of the parchment and began to read, her eyes quickly scanning the black ink squiggles.

Marian
I write to urge you to come to Westminster immediately for the Queen has asked for you and could go into labour at any moment. She says she needs you as her mother cannot be present apart from in our minds and hearts. Please come! And hurry!
- mary
P.s Elizabeth is still adverse to the presence of  the Beaufort woman! As we all are. Please please please make haste and bring some wit to our conversations for all she does talk of is God! I fear my sister shall explode if she is advised to pray one more time!

Marian let out a small laugh at the last line.
"What is it?" Richard asked, looking at his wife
"It is from the Queens sister, Mary. She tells me that my presence has been requested and I must go to Westminster immediately" she replied
"But you cannot go! You are supposed to be in your confinement, love"
"Richard, I have been sent for by the Queen of England. I could lose my head if I do not go!" She had said the last part in jest but her husband appeared to take it to heart.

"You know you would not! The Queen favours you above most, she would understand I am sure"
"I'm going Richard"
"You are not"
"I am, and do not think you shall try to stop be for I always find a way out!"
"Then I am coming with you!" Richard said with a look of slight triumph. Marian walked up to him, placing her hands on his chest.