Checkmate

Two days later

Two days later...

A loud knock came at the bedchamber door and Marian jolted awake, as did Richard who had been happily sleeping with his head on her chest but had now been thrown suddenly onto a pillow at the other side of the bed. There was another loud knock and the Duke and Duchess both quickly grabbed the sapphire and ruby daggers that lay at each side of their bed. Marian ran to the fire and snatched up a piece of kindling, lighting it using the small flames that were left in the hearth and then proceeded to dash around the room, lighting candles as she went.

Marian wrapped Richard's bed robe around her in haste and her husband threw on his shirt and trousers, grabbing his wife's hand and then slowly walking towards the door.

"Who's there?" He called sternly
"It's Harry" the voice called back and the two in the bedchamber let out an irritated sigh, lowering their blades and looking at one another.
"For the love of Christ Harry!" Marian shouted "what do you mean by waking us during the small hours?!" The door opened and Harry walked in, carrying an armful of papers, quickly shutting the door and locking it before turning to his friends
"Well?" Richard said "I hope you know how inconvenient this is?"

"Aye, I do" Harry replied nodding "but this cannot wait until morning"
"Are you sure?" Marian asked, pulling the heavy fur bed robe tighter around her and leaning against Richard who wrapped an arm around her and rubbed his eyes, still trying to fully wake up.
"Yes. It will wake you both up, to be certain."

"Out with it then" Marian demanded. Harry looked between the two before him, took a deep breath then spoke,

"The King is a bastard"

As predicted, Richard and Marian were immediately alert, both looking at Harry in complete disbelief, their faces full of shock
"What?!" Marian practically screamed
"I-I know it's a lot to take in" Harry said "but it's true"

"Now listen here" Richard hissed, walking forward, his anger so clear that if Harry hadn't been standing behind the table he would have taken a step back "I don't know what kind of sick joke of yours this is Harry, but I want you to stop it right now"

"I assure you, Richard, I am speaking the truth" Buckingham replied "your brother had a secret marriage"
"We are all well aware of that, Harry"
"No, you don't understand, Edward had two secret marriages...he was already married when he married Elizabeth Woodville...their children are bastards, their son is not the rightful King"
"I will not listen to this" Richard growled, turning back to Marian who gently took his hands.

"Nor will I" she said softly, though despite her tone of voice, her anger still showed through the unmistakable rage in her brown eyes as she glared at Harry "I will not have anyone slander our King, my nephew..." she paused and took a breath "now get out" she commanded quietly
"Marian..." the Duke of Buckingham stammered "please...listen"