From this day Forth

February, 1472

February, 1472...

Standing on a pedestal in the Queen's bedchamber, Marian let Elizabeth and Meg fuss around her as they dressed her for her wedding which was to take place that morning.

Jaquetta sat by a roaring fire, smiling as she watched her daughter lace up the back of Marian's golden dress that she had had made for her.

"How did you manage to find seamstresses that could sew this quickly!" Marian asked the Queen, laughing
"Seeings have many advantages, my dear. I saw this wedding coming from a mile away!" Elizabeth replied, grinning mischievously at her friend. "I see you have chosen to wear the necklace I gave you during the first rebellion?" She continued, glancing at the emeralds that were around Marian's neck as she slightly adjusted one of the heavy hanging sleeves, trimmed with white fur.

"Yes!" Marian replied "it is very beautiful" the Queen smiled and letting go of the golden material, walked over to her dressing table and picked up a small red velvet casket, opening it as she returned to Marian's side, revealing a beautiful ruby necklace with gold links and a small white rose made of gleaming diamonds hanging from it.

The countess gasped and hesitated before reaching out to gently touch the jewels. Elizabeth smiled.

"I thought it would be a pleasant wedding gift. To say thank you" Marian looked up "for all the years you have been by my side and stayed loyal to my family. Without you, there is a chance we would not be standing here today"

"Elizabeth...really I cannot accept this..." Marian began but was quickly stopped in her tracks as Meg unclasped the emerald necklace and Elizabeth fastened the new one around her neck. The jewels and metal felt cold against her skin but she beamed radiantly and jumped from the pedestal, wrapping her arms around the Queen's neck. Elizabeth laughed and returned the hug.

"Careful, Marian!" Meg ordered also laughing as she caught her friends train.
"You look beautiful, my dear" Jaquetta commented, gesturing for Marian to sit by her as she pulled away from Elizabeth's embrace. The countess immediately went to the older woman's side, taking her hand as she sat beside her, smiling "if you would let me, I could arrange your hair for you" Jaquetta leaned in slightly "It shall bring you luck and it cannot harm" Marian nodded and slowly turned, watching Meg as she brought forth a hairbrush, a few blue and murrey ribbons; a handful of hairpins.

For half an hour, Lady Rivers worked away at Marian's long, dark tresses, twisting them this way and that, brushing and braiding them until she was happy with her creation. Finally she began to whisper a old chant, one of melusina's enchantments, the countess assumed before she felt a light veil being placed onto her head and secured with yet more pins.

"There" Jaquetta announced as she set a golden circlet with a ruby set in the middle of it on top of the snow coloured veil. "You are ready, and look just like a Royal Duchess ought to" she suddenly coughed and looked away for a moment.