Treason

June, 1476, Westminster

Sweeping through the halls of the palace, heavy blue velvet hanging sleeves, skimming the floor slightly, Marian walked in the direction of the council chamber with her husband. They had been summoned by the King and Queen.

"Ah little brother" the Edward greeted as the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester entered the room, the doors closing firmly behind them
"You wanted to see us, Edward?" Marian asked, looking from the King to Elizabeth who was standing beside him, eyes cold, lips in a thin line
"Yes, yes we did" she said cooly "it seems dear George has landed himself in rather hot water"
"What do you mean?" Richard asked, a slight frown settling on his face "what has George done this time?"

"He has committed treason no less" Edward answered slowly. Sitting down at the table and gesturing for the others to follow suit, which they all immediately did. He looked to Richard "it seems our brother has been using enchantments...spells...witchcraft...to 'arm himself'"

"Arm himself against who?" Marian cried
"The Queen" Edward said calmly "and also, it appears, you" Marian felt Richard stiffen beside her
"Me?" She repeated, the colour slightly draining from her face "W-why would George need to arm himself against me? Or the Queen for that matter"

Edward laughed slightly, though the noise held no emotion
"For a long time now, as you will be aware of, my brother has been suspicious of my wife and has accused her many times of witchcraft...and murder" he sighed "while Isabel was pregnant, he hired a sorcerer to help protect her thinking he was fighting fire with fire and when Isabel sadly passed, God rest her soul, I have just been informed that his enchanting has taken a darker turn."

"Meaning?" Richard asked
"Meaning" his brother said "he has made accusations that Isabel was poisoned" Marian scoffed loudly
"But that is ridiculous! Isabel died of childbed fever!" She stood up, as did the Queen, and together they made their way to the window
"So it would seem" the King continued "but George is saying she was poisoned...that she was poisoned by my wife...and by you, Marian"

Richard slammed his fists onto the table, shaking all that was on it
"I will not have this!" He shouted "where is our brother?! For I will not let him create lies about Marian! About my wife!"

"How could we have poisoned her?" Marian demanded, also shouting "I was at Middleham, heavily pregnant when she passed and Elizabeth was here! How could he even think that! He knows Isabel was one of my dearest friends; I was grief stricken when she died..."

"Your lady, Meg, was with Isabel during the days before and after her birth, yes?" The King enquired, "she was with her when she died as well, was she not?"
Marian's eyes widened and she grabbed onto Elizabeth's hand, beginning to tremble slightly
"My god..." she whispered as the Queen turned to her, squeezing her hand