Where my Heart Lies

June 1485, Wensleydale, Yorkshire

Sitting astride; trotting across the vast, green heath, Marian took a deep breath of fresh air and closed her eyes for a moment, tilting back her head and revelling in the early summer sun. She was home at last.

After the letter containing the information about the Tudor had reached her, another had arrived two weeks later, asking Marian to move the court to Windsor, leaving Brackenbury in charge, and travel immediately to Middleham with the children.

The Queen had been relieved to leave London (despite the circumstances) and within three days, the royal procession was ready to leave for the North. The journey had been a hellish one, with rain hammering down on them every step of the way. However, as soon as the party reached Yorkshire the clouds cleared and the sun shined down as if to welcome it's Queen home.

For two whole months she had lived in utter peace at Middleham, feeling for the first time in over a year what it was to be truly happy. Again she smiled into the sun, laughing loudly and setting her hair free from its jewel encrusted hairnet so that it blew gently in the breeze. There was just one thing that would complete her happiness and that was the presence of her husband.

Upon the threat of invasion arising, Richard had departed for the Welsh border to assess the support there for the Tudor. He had taken Rob (and a rather reluctant Francis) with him and Marian had that morning received a letter from the latter that they were returning to Middleham and could be expected around the 15th...that very day.

Turning her chestnut stallion around Marian grinned.
"It really would be much easier if you rode astride, Cecily!" She called to the 15 year old behind her. With Lizzie and Anne gone, Cecily had become her new companion and close confidant. The Queen found the girl to be delightful company and eager to be shown every inch of Yorkshire which Marian had been more than happy to agree to.

They spent their days riding across the moors, Marian showing her niece all their was to see and telling her of the memories she had there. Despite the harshness of moorland riding, Cecily had insisted to ride side saddle as she had been taught, although her aunt constantly tried to pursuance her to switch to riding astride as she did now.

"I assure you, Marian!" Cecily called back, a smile on her face "I shall be fine!"
"You shall have to ride astride one day, you know!" Marian said, laughing "why not give it a go?" The girl shook her head, giggling.
"Not until I have to!"
Marian let out an amused sigh then gave her horse a small kick to nudge it into a gallop.
"Well! Let's see if you can keep up then!" She shouted over her shoulder.

Cecily let out an amused cry and her horse shot into a gallop also, racing after the other over the heather covered moor.

Maria heard a sharp squeal behind her and sharply turned to see Cecily had fallen with a heavy thud into the undergrowth. After making sure she was alright she burst out laughing and watched as the girl rose from the floor, giggling and brushing mud from her juniper coloured gown. She almost blended in with her surroundings!