124

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986                 

Kathleen Winfred       

June 23, 1944: one day

The planning continued.

As Freidrich’s sister was involved in the French resistance, she had contacts. Freidrich knew that the French resistors had made contact with British pilots, including the WAAF. Therefore, he said, they would have the contacts necessary to get a pilot to ferry me across the channel safely.

Finally, the plan seemed to be mostly in place.

We spent the rest of the day together in Freidrich’s office, not saying much. Neither of us knew really what to say, so we sat in silence, and held hands.

We went for a walk outdoors, through the woods behind the prison, after the prisoners scheduled for the day had been transferred.

Neither of us wanted to say what we both knew. Tomorrow, we would be parted. Tomorrow, we would go our separate ways, and our futures would be unsure. We might not ever figure out what had happened to the other.

We came back to the prison, and went up to sit on the roof again. The silence remained heavy between us. I leaned against Freidrich, and closed my eyes.

Eventually he closed his too, and we spent the night on the roof, under the star-sprinkled sky, under a canopy of the most beautiful, deepest black.