20

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986

Kathleen Winfred

Time continued to pass at the prison; it had been several days since I had seen Pirot. There seemed to be an increase of male guards, and these guards eyed the woman prisoners with a lust that I feared.

I believe that it was technically against the rules for the German soldiers to engage in any type of act with the prisoners, even just small kisses or touches like these men were doing. However, they held to the philosophy that it was only against the rules if they were caught, which they never were.

I tried to block out the crying that the other women did at night, after the German soldiers had gone through and done their dirty work. The women were never undressed, thank God, but just being carressed by the guards was enough to make them feel fearful and defiled.

One night, one of the guards, a particularely vile man named Heinrich (the "ultimate heinie" as Virginia called him) made Jessica his target. I could hear her from her cell next door.

"Heinrich!" I said, unable to stop myself, but feeling overcome with the need to do something, anything, to help my friend. I told him that if he kept bothering us, I'd scream until someone came to catch him.

He called me a foul word and told me to shut up, before turning back to Jessica.

I told him that he had five seconds.

He turned on me, angrily unlocking my cell door and shoving me to the ground, kicking me in the stomach.

At the end of the abuse, which really lasted for only a short time, Heinrich left and we were not bothered for the rest of that night.

Jessica cried and thanked me, over and over again, and asked me if I was hurt, and would not stop apologizing for Heinrich's abuse of me.