67

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986

Kathleen Winfred

As I was saying when I left off writing  yesterday, there came a time when I witnessed the evils of the efficiency officer against the prisoners.

This time, Jessica was the one who had become his target.

It was near the end of the efficiency worker's week.

She had been on work detail that day. However, she was ill. She was weak. She stopped, having to vomit. It was an ordinary illness, but it cost her more pain than it would have if the efficiency officer had not been there.

"You!" the officer called to me.

I stepped forward, clenching my fists to keep my hands from shaking.

"Bring her forward!" he ordered.

I glanced at Jessica, hesitantly. I could not think of any way out, but I knew one thing. I could not bring her forward and hand her over as the officer had asked. She was my friend.

"Now!" he ordered.

I shuffled forwards a few steps, still not making any significant move to obey his orders.

"Insubordinate!" he yelled, his voice harsh. He gestured for me to come stand before him. "You have one more chance!" he said, loudly. "You will bring her to me, or you will go before the Hauptsturmfuhrer for punishment!"

Fortunately for me, I would not have to face the efficiency officer's wrath, as the guards and soldiers within the compound were still, overall, under Von Steubon's command. However, if my current relations with Von Steubon were anything to go off of, I might not fare any better with him.

Nonetheless, I could not turn Jessica over to that monster.

So I stood my ground.

He forced two guards to come stand on either side of me while he had another guard bring Jessica forward.

He made me watch as the guard shoved her to the ground. He stepped forward, crop in hand, and looked directly at me, before striking her.

It was terrible to watch, but I could not seem to tear my gaze away. I could not stop thinking that this could have been me. I could not keep myself from looking as he hurt my friend, and I knew I could do nothing to stop it, unless I risked my life, something I was too cowardly to do. But I wanted it to stop. Oh, how I wanted it to stop.

Finally, the guards let me go, not without slapping me smartly across the cheek, and I was told that Hauptsturmfuhrer Von Steubon was expecting me, so I needed to go straight to his office, or risk even harsher retribution.

I made my way back into the compound and away from the scene as quickly as I could, feeling tears burning at the backs of my eyes as I went.