85

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986

Kathleen Winfred

I still didn’t know what to get Freidrich for his birthday.

However, that had fallen somewhat to the wayside in the wake of a new concern.

Upon his return from seeing his superiors (I waited up for him, rather than going to sleep immediately), something about him seemed different. He seemed to have withdrawn a part of himself. On the outside, he spoke to me, but it felt as though, on the inside, he was hiding something or keeping half of what he felt locked up within himself. I had a feeling it had to do with whatever he had been told at that meeting.

There had been meetings he had gone to in the past that had resulted in physical injuries. One, when I was still a prisoner, and one more recently. This one may have left him physically unharmed, but I felt that something must have shaken him mentally or emotionally.

He seemed generally unhappy, even in the few words we exchanged before I departed and went to bed.

The next morning, I arrived for my work, only to find that he had spent the entire night in his office, working, only to fall asleep merely an hour before I had arrived.

I told him, cautiously, not wanting to upset him, that perhaps he should get more sleep the next night.

However, he only looked more exhausted the next morning.

This time, I demanded that he get some sleep, if only to prevent him from wearing himself down and becoming sick.

I stayed awake, going downstairs around midnight to check his office. The light under the door was on.

I sighed, but didn’t do anything. I couldn’t make his go to sleep…but I was worried about him.

I watched him carefully for the next few days, trying to figure out what was upsetting him.