30

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986

Kathleen Winfred

It had been almost a month since Heinrich Schwab had imposed his rule upon us. A strain of the stomach flu found its way into our prison, beginning in the wing for male prisoners. Ordinarily, we might have been able to fight it, but under Schwab, we had grown weak, malnourished, and our bodies were unable to rid themselves of the sickness. 

There were two deaths by the end of the first week due to dehydration as a result of the illness. 

When Virginia became ill, I knew I had to enlist Pirot's help. Virginia could not die. 

Pirot pledged to help me in any way she could. 

The next day, she brought a folded blanket and handed it to me, giving me a small smile. 

She moved Virginia in with me. 

Through the night I cared for my friend. Pirot's blanket had been folded around several canteens of water, small loaves of bread, a bit of medicine, and a washcloth.

I wet the washcloth with some of the precious water and laid it on Virginia's forehead, hoping to bring her fever down. I forced her to drink, little bits of water at a time. I fed her bread. I stroked her hair. 

Two days later, thanks to Pirot's continued bringing of supplies, Virginia's fever broke. 

I admit that I shed tears of relief. I had realized just how much I did not want to lose the friends I had made, the people who had made my life in prison a bit more bearable. 

Days Under Heinrich Schwab:

llll/  llll/ llll/ llll/ llll/ llll/

I began to pray that Von Steubon would return, and that nothing terrible had happened to him as a consequence for his helping us.