117

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986                 

Kathleen Winfred

June 15, 1944: nine days

Freidrich received a letter.

“Summons?” I questioned him, upon seeing the furrowing of his brow.

He shook his head. “Orders,” he said. “This prison camp is to be emptied and left.”

“What does that mean?” I asked, already knowing the answer.

“The German commanders are becoming fearful of the possibilities of French resistance. Not to mention the fact that the Allies are advancing. All prisoners will be transferred by train at the end of the month to different concentration camps and holding camps. Guards and all other soldiers will be transferred to the frontlines, where the German army is beginning to need more troops.”

“What about…you?” I asked, faintly.

He sighed. “I’m not sure yet,” he said. “I have one more meeting with my superiors at the end of the month, just after the prison is emptied.”

I closed my eyes.

Moments later, I heard him get up from his desk chair and come around the desk to stand next to me. He put his hands gently on my shoulders.

“Kathleen?” he said.

I opened my eyes and looked up at him. “Are you afraid?” I asked him.

“Of what?” he said, quietly.

“Of what their decision will be at the end of the month?”

He shook his head. “I’ve certainly had enough time to think about it recently.” He sighed. “Knowing the different directions in which my fate can go is the easy part,” he said. “I’m more afraid of having to say goodbye to you.”

My breath caught in my throat and I felt my eyes well up.

He used his thumb to brush away a stray tear. “I know that I have to…And I’ve had to do difficult things before. However, this will be the hardest.”