54

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986

Kathleen Winfred

At the end of April, I faced my first real test. Passing the test meant that my ruse as a German soldier could continue on. Failing meant my death.

Von Steubon warned me, ahead of time, that a German general and two other officers were coming to observe the prison as part of a routine inspection.

When he told me, I froze, my hands began to shake, and I felt cold all over. I closed my eyes and told myself that I needed to stop; I told myself that I could keep up the act in front of the officers since I had, after all, fooled the rest of the soldiers at the prison.

"Ilsa?"

I opened my eyes to see that Von Steubon had leaned forward slightly and was looking at me, concern on his face. Once I opened my eyes, he straightened. "You'll be alright, won't you?" he said, after a moment. "If not, I could arrange for you to have the day off..."

"No," I said, shaking my head emphatically. "I have to do this. I can do this."

He remained there, his gaze trained on me for a few moments, before finally nodding. "Alright," he said, simply, turning away from my desk and going back to his office.

The day had now arrived, and I will admit that I was scared to death. This time, however, I did better at not showing it. I acted as the perfect secretary, greeting the officers and showing them into Von Steubon's office, before turning to go.

I felt tense, until I caught Von Steubon's eye and saw him give me a slight nod of approval as I closed the office door.

I allowed myself to relax and sit at my desk. Once I relaxed, however, it became clear to me just how tense and afraid I had been, and I had to keep myself from shaking with relief.

Eventually, Von Steubon and the officers left the office entirely and went off for their inspection of the prison.

I waited, my hands gripping the edge of the desk, too tense to do anything other than sit there and wait.

Finally, after what seemed an eternity, I heard Von Steubon bidding the officers "good day" from outside the door.

Then they were gone entirely, and Von Steubon reentered the office, shutting the main door behind him and leaning against it, eyes closed, in a rare breach of ordinary decorum.

I stood, waiting anxiously for him to tell me if everything would be alright.

He opened his eyes and stood straight once more. He nodded, giving me a small smile. "Relax now, Ilsa," he said. "We've passed."

I sank into my chair in relief, a smile breaking out across my face.

Von Steubon went into his office, closing the door behind him as usual. I just sat there, letting the knowledge that I was safe, that those helping me were safe, fill me.

I felt an inexorable sense of relief and warmth filling me seemingly from my head to my toes.

I leaned back in my chair, letting my eyes close, feeling suddenly exhausted by the amount of energy that worry and anxiety had drained from me.

Through the wall that separated Von Steubon's inner office from my small outer one, I heard him whistling an improvised tune, and I smiled.

We passed.