72

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986

Kathleen Winfred

When we reached the town, I was almost overwhelmed by the amount of chaos. Three blocks of the small town had been almost destroyed. Families were digging desperately in the rubble of their homes, searching for loved ones, or for pets, or for valuables, calling to each other worriedly in French. Children stood along the rubble strewn street, staring blankly at their destroyed homes. Some people had injuries, such as broken arms, or a gash across their forehead.

I tried to help where I could.

I helped to reunite a mother and her son, who had been separated in the chaos. I used a splint to stabilize a little girl’s broken arm.

I helped remove rubble from the ruins of one house, enough for a little girl to help her pet cat out from where it had been hiding under her bed, which was now covered in brick and plaster.

Some of the people, who spoke English or minimal German, were easy for me to understand, and I was able to help them more quickly.

However, those that spoke only French were more difficult. I managed, though. 

We worked through the day.

When dusk fell, we trudged tiredly back out of town and up the hill towards the prison. We knew we would most likely go back the next day.

I sighed tiredly as I made my way to my desk, wondering what duties I would have to make up for after being gone.

I was surprised to find nothing in my in tray.

I knocked on Freidrich’s door, wondering if he would be there.

Shortly after my knocking, I heard him say “come in”.

I entered, standing by the entrance until he looked up and acknowledged me.

“Is there no work I missed this morning?”

“It was an irregular day for all of us,” he said, by way of explanation. “There was not much work that required your attention, so I took the liberty of doing it for you.”

I smiled. “Thank you,” I said, quietly. He smiled back and held my gaze for several moments, before looking back down at his paperwork.

I turned to go, but I looked back once.

He was still smiling, even though he had gone back to his work.