38

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986

Kathleen Winfred

Later, after getting over the initial shock at hearing my own name, I realized that Virginia was to be transferred as well. 

At first, I thought we might be together, but she told me that she was being sent to Auschwitz-Birkenau, while I was being sent to Ravensbruck.

I did not want to go to Ravensbruck. I had heard things about this concentration camp for women. I did not want to be a test subject for medical experiments. I did not want to face the possibility of being forced to march to a gas chamber, to die at the hands of the Nazis.

I admit that, the night I had received the news of my impending transfer, I was a bloody mess. I was afraid, I was grieved, and I wanted nothing more, at the time, than to stay here, in my cell.

It was like this, curled up at the back of my cell, Schubert (who had come to visit me somewhat earlier in the evening) on my lap, that Pirot found me when she came later.

She told me to stand. Then she unlocked my cell, led me from it, and followed me down the hallway, a gun at my back ("for show", she whispered to me).

I could not help but wonder what faced me up ahead.

Was I to be transferred early?

Killed?

Tortured?