69

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986

Kathleen Winfred

The next day, Von Steubon allowed me to simply lay low for the morning and most of the afternoon. He would have allowed me the whole day, but I insisted on letting the efficiency officer see me observing the work groups as usual.

Von Steubon appeared unsure of this plan, but as I would not surrender in the matter, he eventually gave in.

The efficiency officer had only this day left. I was determined to act as though Von Steubon had, indeed, punished me.

He had been nothing but kind to me since last evening.

I had to ensure that he did not come upon any trouble for his kindness.

I was afraid that if the efficiency officer were to realize that Von Steubon had, in fact, not punished me, Von Steubon would be made to suffer. The efficiency officer, ranking lower than Von Steubon, would not be able to do anything himself. However, he would surely mention it when he reported to his superiors: one and the same as the superiors who tried, quite often, to make life difficult for Von Steubon.

I stood outside, near the work groups as usual, overseeing their detail just as I always did.

When the efficiency officer came around, I adopted a limping, slumped posture, making it seem as though Von Steubon had ordered me to a whipping post for my insubordination.

The officer looked at me, warily, seeming at least somewhat satisfied with my faked injuries.

However, when I was turned away from him, he came up behind me, and clapped a hand on my shoulder. I jumped, slightly, but apparently not enough to ease his suspicions that my injuries were not all that they seemed.

He was glaring at me, eyes narrowed suspiciously.

"I'm happy to see that you're...still in the condition to serve," he said, his voice malicious.

I simply nodded, saying, in German, that serving the Furhr was important enough that I could endure some pain to do so.

He continued his advance towards me, still staring warily at me.

I did my best not to shrink back under his scrutiny.

"Perhaps, you'd like to tell me about your punishment. What did your esteemed Hauptsturmfuhrer see fit to do to you?"

I was saved from replying by the appearance of the esteemed Hauptsturmfuhrer himself.

He was coming towards the two of us, looking rather angry.

"Reinecker!" he said, the first time I had actually heard the efficiency officer's name. "I believe that your orders pertain to the prisoners, not to my personnel."

Reinecker glared at Von Steubon, looking flustered. "Of course, Hauptsturmfuhrer Von Steubon. I was simply...making sure that proper punishment was meted out."

"Do you not trust me to give it, Reinecker?"

"Begging your pardon, Herr Von Steubon, but I do not," said Reinecker, drawing himself up to stand slightly taller than Von Steubon.

Von Steubon's expression remained passive. "You would do well, Reinecker, to remember who is superior. I do, as a commissioned officer, rank above you, and I will not tolerate your insubordination." Von Steubon glanced at me, noting my posture, and my falsified injuries. "Just as I did not tolerate hers," he added, gesturing to me. "If you would like to see exactly what has been done to her, continue to be insubordinate. However..."

Here, Von Steubon pulled up the sleeve of his uniform jacket slightly and glanced at his watch. He then looked at Reinecker, his expression now quite dangerous. "I believe," he finished. "That you will find that your time here at this prison is done. For your orders dictated that your duties here would end at nineteen-hundred hours...or seven o'clock. Therefore, Leutnant Reinecker, you are dismissed."

Lieutenant Reinecker glared at Captain Von Steubon, but eventually gave a smart salute, which Von Steubon returned, before turning and marching from the prisoner's wing, presumably to gather his things and take his leave.

I glanced at Von Steubon, and he gave me a small, somewhat rare, smile, before turning and departing, probably to ensure that Reinecker did not cause any further trouble.

I saw Matthew, leaning on his shovel, watching as Von Steubon walked away. He turned to look at me and winked.