21

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986

Kathleen Winfred

SS-Soldier Heinrich Schwab had his nose broken today.

It came about because I decided to tell Pirot.

I told Pirot about the guards, and about what they did at night.

I told her about Heinrich.

I told her they believed they would not be caught and so they kept doing it.

I told her everything.

She left, her jaw set and an angry light in her eyes.

I did not hear back from her for the rest of the day. 

At night, Heinrich came again.

This time, he was angry with me.

He came for me.

He did not get that far.

A lone light turned on in the corridor.

Schwab whirled around, trying to make it look as if he had been doing nothing but checking on a disturbance. That's what he tried to pass it off as: me making a disturbance. 

Von Steubon was angry. He told Heinrich to stand in the center of the corridor. Schwab had no choice but to obey.

Von Steubon removed his hat and his dress uniform jacket, and handed them to Pirot, who had accompanied him. 

His gaze was icy as he slowly and methodically undid the cuffs of his white shirt and rolled up the sleeves.

Then he stepped forward.

He drew back his fist.

He punched Heinrich Schwab in the nose, so hard that the crack echoed through the corridor and blood spurted from the soldier's nose and gushed down his face.

Then Von Steubon stepped back, unclenching his fist and retrieving his cap and jacket.

"Clean yourself up, Schwab," he said, and left.

Schwab did too, and I never saw him guard the women prisoners again.