102

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986                                                                                                                                    

Kathleen Winfred

I stood before my dresser, the small box in which I had placed Virginia’s belongings open before me and her letter in both hands.

And my name, or at least the name Virginia had to call me by, on the front: Ilsa Schulz.

And Freidrich’s words, ringing in my head. Why don’t you start there?

I set the letter down once more, but didn’t quite close the box, and made my way to the window, where I pulled back the blackout shade. My room faced the courtyard and I could see the prisoners lined up, waiting to hear if they were to be transferred or not. Freidrich stood before all of them. I watched him for a bit, before sighing and letting the shade fall back into place.

I glanced at Schubert who, as Freidrich was busy, had followed me upstairs to my room.

“Well, Schubert,” I said, absentmindedly. “I guess I have to open it sooner or later…”

I sighed and returned to the dresser, pulling out the letter and closing the box before I had a chance to return it.

I picked Schubert up and set him on my bunk, before I climbed up to join him.

Taking a deep breath, I slit the envelope, pulling out the paper inside and beginning to read.