33

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986

Kathleen Winfred

Things improved immediately upon Von Steubon’s return, but they were never again as good as they were before he had left.

Picking up on things that Pirot and Albert said, I managed to learn that the higher ups in the German SS were cracking down a lot harder on their commanders and their treatment of prisoners of war. While Von Steubon would try his best to continue to treat us better than other prisons might treat their prisoners, it was a finer line than before that he now had to walk.

I thought about, for the first time, how truly difficult it must be for Von Steubon. I wondered what would make a young German commander, a man with his whole future ahead of him, a man held in high esteem by his country, risk it all just to try to make life easier for a bunch of prisoners. I wonder if, if our positions were reversed, I would do the same.

When I thought about it, I realized that I am brave when it comes to some things but my bravery has its limits. I may do some things that make my courage appear greater than it actually is but, in the end, I always do what I have to in order to try to avoid death or great harm to my person. Given my line of work, it may not seem true, but the fact remains.

Von Steubon risks his life every day in defying his commanders. Pirot could be executed as a traitor for disobeying orders, fraternizing with the enemy, and holding beliefs that go against what the Furhr believes. Albert openly speaks to the prisoners, and shows small kindnesses to us that would get him harshly punished if his commander was anyone other than Von Steubon.

They are truly brave.

I am truly weak.