78

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986

Kathleen Winfred

A book was something that I thought, based on the amount of them he had in his office, that he would enjoy. However, it was something he already had plenty of.

A watch? He already had one.

Fancy fountain pens? Aside from the fact that he already had several, I didn’t have the money.

I sighed in frustration, wishing that this would be as simple as shopping for women. At least with women, you could simply get them jewelry and they’d usually be content. At this thought, I formed a mental image of Freidrich wearing jewelry, and couldn’t stop myself from laughing out loud.

At least he was out, currently.

Trying to decide what to get him only made me realize how little I actually knew about his interests, likes and dislikes.

I was clearing papers off my desk when there was a knock at the outer office door.

Curiously, I stood and crossed the room, opening it.

The man who stood there was a Nazi officer. He was short in stature, only slightly taller than me. His head was balding and he had a stiff moustache that curled a bit downwards on the ends. The brown hair that he had was beginning to gray.

When he saw me, he smiled, appearing quite friendly.

I was, at first, worried that, being caught off guard, I might slip up and give something away.

However, the man seemed quite nice, and his friendly manner eventually made me feel more at ease. I thought that strange, considering that he was an officer.

“Is Hauptsturmfuhrer Von Steubon in?” he asked, sounding cheerful.

“No,” I said, shaking my head. “He’s out on inspections right now.”

“Know when he’ll be back in?”

“Probably in about twenty minutes,” I said.

He nodded. “I’ll just wait, if you don’t mind.” He smiled. “Is that alright?”

“Of course,” I said, gesturing to the chairs. “I can get you something to drink, if you’d like. Water. Or maybe even some wine?”

“Water would be lovely, thanks,” he said.

I nodded, and left to bring him back a cup of water.

Upon my return, I handed him the glass, which he took a sip of before setting it down and looking at me. “Sit down, why don’t you?” he said, kindly.

I sat down in a chair across from him.

“I’m Roderich,” he said. “Roderich Giese.”

“Ilsa,” I said. “Ilsa Schulz.”

He offered me his hand and we shook. I observed him somewhat warily. He was obviously a more senior officer than Von Steubon, in age and rank.

He cleared his throat, dispelling the awkward silence. “I suppose you’re wondering why I’m here,” he said.

I nodded, letting him know that I had.

“I’ve brought the efficiency report from Reinecker’s last visit.”

“Oh,” I said, not really knowing what to say.

“I’m surprised Freidrich finally got himself a secretary. I’ve been telling him he should have one, but he’s never complied. Guess he finally realized how much of a help a secretary can be.” He looked me over. “Does he work you very hard?”

“Not very,” I said. “I think he prefers doing most of it himself.”

“He always did. He doesn’t like to rely on many people, if you know what I mean.” Roderich sighed. “I’ve tried to be there for him…But he’s a hard one to help.”

“I would certainly agree with that.”

Roderich smiled. “I’ve known him for forever and half of what he does is still a mystery to me. His sister is a bit easier to understand.”

I looked at him curiously. “Are you a family friend of his then?”

Roderich laughed, his breath blowing his mustache slightly. “You might say that,” he said, still chuckling. “I’m…”

At that moment, he was interrupted by the door opening, signaling Von Steubon’s return. I quickly stood, noting that Roderich did the same.

Von Steubon was looking directly at Roderich, his face not giving any of his thoughts on the man’s presence away.

“Freidrich,” said the cheerful officer, pleasantly, holding up a file of papers. “I’ve brought the efficiency report.”

Freidrich nodded, coming to stand next to Roderich. “Thank you, Uncle Roderich. I appreciate it.”

I was quite surprised. This was Freidrich’s uncle? The one who had raised him?

Seeing the two standing next to one another was strange. Freidrich was taller than Roderich, and strong; he held himself stiffly. Roderich was short, and somewhat paunchy, and he stood relaxed.

“We can discuss the report in my office,” continued Freidrich, looking pointedly at his uncle.

“Of course, of course,” said Roderich, nodding in agreement.

“Ilsa,” said Von Steubon, nodding to me as he passed. Roderich gave me another smile as he went past me.