Chapter 39

My eyes fluttered open and to my surprise, the room was swallowed in pitch blackness. Of course, my first thought was that I must've woken up in the early hours, but upon further notice, I realized that rarely happened. Besides, I felt fully energized, the same way I did after a good night's sleep.

I reached for my phone that was placed on the bedside table; I pressed the power button, lighting the screen up and illuminating the room slightly with a blue glow. The grinning face of my girlfriend greeted me as I looked at my lock screen before focusing on the white digits of the clock. And it was, indeed, not the middle of the night. It was already ten in the morning.

That's when I realized another thing; the weight usually on my body upon awakening was not present. Looking to my left, I was met with an empty bed. There was not a body curled up to mine, no face nuzzling my neck, no arm draped over my waist. And it felt strange, not familiar at all. After sleeping together for the longest time, it felt rather odd, and I hated the feeling. But I figured she was just in the bathroom, which made me relax. I was used to Rosie taking showers in the morning, only they usually happened after I woke up, seeing as I haven't slept I as much anymore.

This time around, I slept for longer than in a long time, and I wondered about the reason behind it. My mind was still a little slow and body groggy, seeing as I've just woken up. For that, I have only now begun realizing, the darkness might have something to do with that, seeing as I either woke up to Rosie or to the sunlight streaming through the full-length windows.

It was noon soon, and there was no sun coming in. It confused me, and I didn't understand why that would be. At this time, the sun was high up in the sky, shining brightly and making me cuss out everything and everyone (besides Rosie, of course), for waking me up.

As my eyes got adjusted to the darkness of the room, the blackness became grey and I could make out shapes and silhouettes of the furniture around the room. Not that I needed light for that, seeing as I've lived in the same apartment for three years and knew exactly what was where.

Turning my head to the right, I looked at the windows that were not letting me see outside for once, and now I understood why perfectly. The shutters have been closed, that's why I haven't woken up earlier, and why there was no light in the room, initially confusing me.

One might think, how dumb must you be to not realize the shutters are closed. The thing was, in contrast to my past self, Rosie liked to wake up to the morning sun. And ever since she started sleeping here, I never closed the shutters anymore. That's why I was so confused. Because I knew yesterday was no exception. I haven't closed the shutters, or at least I didn't remember doing so, and neither did Rosie. Not that I have noticed, anyway.

But then again, it must've been one of us, so I shrugged it off and got out of the bed, pressing the button next to the window. And as the shutters began opening, morning rays streamed in, welcoming me with their warmth.

Nodding my head in content, I made my way back to the bed and sat down, resting my back against the headboard. Rosie's side of the bed was cold, which showed she must've left for the bathroom a while ago, so I knew it wouldn't be much longer till she appeared. So to fill out the time that she wasn't here for me to annoy, I grabbed my phone and opened my social media, scrolling through my feed.

First, I checked mine and Hobi's YouTube channel, only to see it has grown even more and was currently at almost five million subscribers, which made me feel ecstatic. Our latest cover has been flooded with positive comments from our viewers, and it made me feel so happy that I started dancing in my spot, not being able to contain my happiness. It was so rewarding seeing people take a moment of their time to show their appreciation, and it made the whole thing so much more worth it.