Chapter 36

A/N: Jeremy Zucker - Scared (Y'all better listen to this or Istg. Also, I altered the lyrics the tiniest bit so they fit the POV)

"I was kidding before when I asked if you were planning on locking me up in a basement, but now, I'm not so sure anymore. Seriously, handcuffs aren't necessary, I won't try to run away. I promise," I told the girl in the driver's seat, who had her eyes trained on the road ahead, trying to ignore my foolish words. But I could see the corners of her lips twitching, as she suppressed a smile and repressed the need to roll her eyes. Of course, I couldn't see that part, but I considered myself pretty well educated in the subject of my girlfriend and her reactions to me when I was being, as she would say, an idiot.

"You think I'm just fooling around, but I'm serious Rosie. I won't run, scout promise," I raised my hand to the air with my pinky and thumb touching, doing the pledge.

"Were you even a scout?" she asked with a playful scoff, but without averting her gaze from the road.

"No," I ventured, "but I want you to see how serious I am. Scouts are pretty serious, no?"

"You're an idiot,"

"How nice of you calling me an idiot on my birthday," I folded my arms in front of my chest and glared at her side profile.

"Shut up," she chuckled and reached over the console to rest her hand on my thigh.

"Tell me it doesn't look sketchy though," I started again and moved my left hand to my thigh to take her hand in mine, "we've been driving for almost two hours, you refuse to tell me where we're going-"

"Oh? How you refuse to tell me what Jennie gave you that made you look like a tomato?"

Ignoring her remark, I continued. I was not about to divulge to her what Jennie did, at least not right now, "You borrowed Tae's car so even your vehicle looks like one of an abductor. Honestly, I'm just waiting for you to exit the highway to drive into some forest on a dirt road,"

As soon as I finished, her lips stretched into a wicked smile and I wondered if perhaps I was right. But then again, this was Rosie, who wouldn't hurt a fly and was obsessed with a pet fish. It sounded ridiculous that she would actually do that, but the second she exited the highway and did exactly what I mentioned seconds before, my eyes widened.

The car started jumping up and down slightly, as we were no longer on the smooth concrete of the highway, but on a bumpy dirt road. If I were to have my glasses on, I probably would've known where we were going, but since I left them at home, not expecting an abduction later in the day, I couldn't see over two feet away from the car.

All I could see was darkness enveloping us and the dirt path ahead from the headlights that illuminated the road ahead. Of course, I wasn't really scared, but even I had to admit; it was sort of creepy. Like the start of a bad horror movie where the main characters decide to have some fun by driving off into the middle of some spooky looking forest, thinking it's a great idea.

But Rosie was a scaredy-cat, so I was pretty sure she knew what she was doing, or at least, I hoped so. As if reading my thoughts from the driver's seat, she gave my hand a gentle squeeze, making me avert my attention from the black nothingness I saw from the passenger's window to the beautiful girl sitting next to me.

She said nothing, but I saw the small smile that decorated her lips, making me relax instantly. I haven't even realized I grew tense sometime throughout the ride and Rosie took it upon herself to remind me it was her. It was Rosie I was with. There was nothing to worry about. Of course, I knew that, but yeah, the road ahead and the fact I couldn't tell where we were, were kind of spooky.