Chapter 35

My nose scrunched up, as I felt something warm press against my face. It wasn't unpleasant by any means but it somewhat tickled, so I turned my head to the side slightly, still refusing to open my eyes. However, the sensation hasn't stopped, as the slow movement against my skin kept repeating itself.

I could tell it was morning already by the faint light I could make out even through my closed eyelids, as I refused to give myself away to the rays of the daylight. From the way it shone, as it was accompanied by the chirping of birds heard from the outside, I knew it must've been a beautiful sunny day, the sun impeccably warm, heating everything within its reach, filling it with life.

But despite all that, I refused to give in. The thought of opening my eyes and getting out of the perfectly warm bed, enveloping me in its softness and warmth, didn't sound exactly appealing. Besides, I did stay up quite late last night, as a certain someone refused to go to sleep and prevailed we watch another episode of the show we were watching. And I, being the amazing girlfriend I was, couldn't say no to her. Not when I saw her wide smile as she pointed towards the screen, as the 'next episode' button appeared.

And there it was again, the first thing I thought of in the morning. The thing that occupied my thoughts first thing upon coming into a conscious state.

"Wake up, sleepyhead," I felt her whisper against my skin, as she prevailed in placing featherlight kisses all over my face.

"No," I whined drowsily, tightening my hold on her body that I now realized was hovering over me, as she continued kissing my exposed skin.

Giggling lightly, she placed a kiss to the tip of my nose next, causing me to scrunch it, as a wide grin spread across my face. I felt her smile against my skin, as she placed her lips on both my cheeks and moving them to my forehead and proceeding to my eyes, as she kissed my eyelids, the touch being even softer than her previous ones.

After that, I felt her pull away slightly, and just as I was about to complain at the lack of contact, I felt her breath hit my lips, causing my breath to hitch in my throat in anticipation, as she slowly lowered herself down. I was starting to think it wouldn't happen until I felt the softest touch against my upper lip that got my heart racing.

It was the gentlest of touch, as her lips slowly enclosed my upper lip, kissing it softly, slowly, lovingly, making me smile as I felt the taste of peppermint from her toothpaste lingering on her lips. As she felt my smile, she smiled as well and made a move to pull back, but I was having none of that and so as soon as I felt her raise her upper body, I rose with her.

One of my arms moved from her waist down to the mattress to support myself, as I lifted my body so the contact of our lips wasn't broken and I felt her grin as I did so. Her hands moved from my sides to my cheeks, as she cupped the soft flesh tenderly, holding my face in her warm palms as she kissed me.

"Happy birthday," she whispered as she pulled back to look at me.

Finally opening my eyes, I was met with her soft smile and soft eyes, as she looked at me as if I was the most precious thing in the world. My face stretched in a wide smile as I watched the girl of my dreams sitting in my lap, with each of her legs on my sides, caressing my hands that she took in hers.

Bringing our joined hands to my lips, I kissed the back of her palm on each hand and looked up at her with a still slightly sleepy smile, "Morning, baby," I laid my head on her chest, wrapping my arms around her torso, inhaling her scent as she moved her hands to stroke my hair.

I was never one to celebrate my birthday, and I haven't ever celebrated it before. And as sad as it may have sounded to someone, I wanted to keep it that way. That why I haven't mentioned it to Rosie since the day at the observatory. However, it seemed like she remembered.