thirty three

33|TALLER THAN WALLS

Lillian rolled over, sighing contently as she pulled the blanket higher over her shoulders. Erwin had allowed the group to catch up on sleep, even if it was only a few hours.

"Mmm, I never realised I missed beds." She reached over and stroked her fingers down his bare chest. She shuffled closer to his side and kissed an old scar on his shoulder.

"I miss sleeping with you." He replied back, kissing her forehead as his hand slipped under her dress to draw circles on her growing stomach. "I hope I get to meet him."

"Levi." Lillian said quietly, knowing that there is a high chance of him never meeting his child. "Like you said at the church, now you have a reason to live so you need to live. That's an order."

"I love you." Levi pulled her close, his lips on hers as they shared this final moment together, not knowing what will happen with Rod Reiss' Titan.

Eventually they broke apart, cuddling in bed while the sun began to stream through their window, both knowing they were late for the mission.

Lillian rolled out of bed first, knowing her was watching her body as she stripped naked before putting on a comfortable dress. She tied her hair up into a bun and watched in the mirror as her husband got dressed into his uniform.

"Let's go." They linked arms and wandered through the hallways in silence before joining the rest of the squad in the courtyard.

"I thought I might have to send a cadet up, scar them for life." Hanje joked as she joined the pair. They quickly traveled to the wall, standing on top of it as they watched the cannons fire repeatedly at the Titan.

"Well, how's that...?" Erwin stated, as they stopped firing, trying to look for the Titan through the smoke. The cannons failed and Rod Reiss kept crawling closer causing the ground cannons to start firing. "The ground cannons seem even less effective."

"Of course they are." Levi sassed to the older man. "The wall cannons barely hit the nape, even with the better angle. What's the problem?"

"It's a mishmash if soldiers, cannons they scraped together, superficial leadership, to top that off, this is a northern region." The Commander answered. "Unlike troops on the front lines, they have no battle experience. However, this is the best we're going to get, and that's a fact. Yeah, that much is painfully obvious."

"Yet again, your strategy for the Scouts boils down to another gamble." The short man scoffed. "Just like everything else you conjure up."

"Erwin! I brought the goodies!" Hanje yelled over to the blonde man, gaining everyone's attention. "All the gunpowder, ropes, and netting I could find. We'll have to assemble it ourselves though. Oh, and this! There's another on the opposite side." A cadet wheeled over a barrel of gunpowder tied to a small wheelbarrow with a trigger. "The triggers held in place, so when it's fired, it'll wind itself back up, just like ODM gear. So, is the artillery doing any damage?"

"Slightly more than a pissing insect." Levi replied sarcastically earning a snicker from his wife.

"Then we're really planning on using this?" The Section Commander said excitedly.

"Levi, Jean, Sasha, Connie, take care of that side." Erwin ordered causing them to salute before running to their places.

"How should we do this? Let's see." Hanje hummed loudly, looking over the project as the cadets piled gunpowder barrels on to the large net. Lillian stood beside the injured woman, leaning against her slightly as her swollen feet began to ache. "Try to imagine we're wrapping up a nice gift for someone special."

"I never want a gift from you." Lilly laughed as they watched the cadets work while both thinking about the plan. "Especially if it contains gunpowder."

"And here I was thinking about getting my little godchild a rattle toy filled with gunpowder." The brunette woman joked, nudging the pregnant woman with her good arm. "Yeah, stack it up on the edge."

The cannons fired again as Rod Reiss got closer to the wall, almost hitting it. Hanje protected the pregnant doctor as hot smoke poured over them from the Titan.

"Lilly, leave now before you get hurt." Hanje yelled at Lillian, worried about the baby.

"No, I will leave this part of the wall but I'm not leaving." Lilly shouted back, quickly hugging the woman before leaving to the other side of the wall, very far away from the Titan.

It used the wall to stand up, towering over the wall as it's guts spilled down the stone and into the District. It's tight grip on the wall caused the stones to crumble to the ground. Lillian looked through the smoke and noticed her husband safe. She sighed in relief before preparing herself for what was to come.