thirty two

32|THE PLAN

Levi offered her his hand as she climbed off the back of the cart, happily accepting his help. He kept his hand on her lower back as they both wandered over to his horse, patting it lovingly.

"I like this horse." Lillian hummed in thought, leaning back against his chest as they enjoyed this small moment of peace.

"Please gather your squad in the hall." A cadet came over to Levi and passed along the message from Erwin. "The strategy meeting is about to begin."

"All right." Levi replied before walking over to the rest of the group. "Historia. Forgot to tell you, we need you to do something."

"Yes?"

"Erwins orders." The captain informed her before continuing. "When this battle is over, since you're the true successor to the throne, become the Queen."

Everyone's eyes widened in shock at his statement, all surprised that their friend was to become royalty.

"Queen? Historia?"

"The coup d'état was successful, bit the people won't follow a regiment sitting at the top." Levi said, relaying Erwins orders. "What we need is a story to spread. That a true heir retook the crown from the fake."

"Um, Captain?" Connie raised his hand to gain the man's attention. "I'm sure you heard what Historia said earlier, but, well, uh, by leaving her father, she finally broke free from that burden, I guess you could say. And yet, again..."

"What?" The Captain raised his voice slightly causing Lillian to grab his hand to calm him from harming the slow boy. "If you have something to say, say it."

"In other words, Connie's trying to say, Historia broke free from Reiss family and has finally found herself." Jean spoke up for Connie causing Levi to turn around and face the frightened boy. "And now you're forcing her into another role? Isn't that not fair to her?"

"All right." Historia finally spoke up, shocking everyone with her answer. "My next duty is to be Queen, right? Understood. Thanks for your concern. But whether or not it's forced on me is up to me to decide, I think. However, Captain, I do have one condition."

"Hmm?" The older man raised a brow at her.

"Since my fate is my own, I want to lay it all on the line." She stated, her voice filled with confidence and authority.

"Come on, dear, let's find you some uniform." Lillian stepped forwards and linked her arm with the blonde girl, pulling her towards a random room. "Here, I will let you get dressed in peace."

"Thank you, Lillian. You're like the mother I never had growing up." Historia smiled up at the woman, happy to have such a caring woman in her life.

"I know the pain, however, I lost my father at a very young age." Lillian left the girl and entered the meeting room, instantly embracing her brother. "Thank goodness you're not dead."

"I could say the same about you." Erwin chuckled, patting her head before looking down at her swollen stomach. "I see my little nephew is getting bigger?"

"Nephew?" She laughed, rubbing her stomach lovingly. "He is like his father then, a kicker." Lilly grabbed his hand and showed him how the baby had started kicking. It kicked his hand causing a joyful tear to appear in the corner of his eyes.

"When you're Queen, you can punch that runt in the face." Mikasa said teasingly to Historia as she rejoined them. This caused Lillian to giggle to herself as she went to stand beside her husband.

"We've determined the location of Rod Reiss Titan." A cadet quickly paced into the room. "It's Southwest, approaching Orvud. At this rate, it should reach Orvud District by dawn."

"Understand"

"Commander Erwin, we'd all like to hear what your plan is." A higher up of the Garrisons directed his attention to the silent man. "How do you intend to evacuate the citizens in time?"

"We won't evacuate." Erwin answered casually. "We'll have the citizens remain in Orvud District just as they are."

"Are you insane?" The man said with surprise, everyone around the room gasping and mumbling to each other.

"If we are to stop that Titan, we must do so outside the walls of Orvud District." The commander began to explain his plan. "For that to happen, we must have the citizens act as bait. However, this does not change the fact that our first duty as soldiers is to protect the citizens. Supposedly we're unable to halt the target, we'll take measures so that not a single citizen is killed. We'll announce an emergency evacuation drill for Orvud District, so that if needed, the citizens will be ready to evacuate at once."

"It seems there's no other choice." The higher up trailed off reluctantly, hating the plan but knowing it was the only one that would work.

"The body of our target is the largest we've seen." Erwin stated. "As such, it presents an easy target. Wall mounted cannons should prove highly effective, but if that's not enough to bring it down. The Scout Regiment will throw everything we have at it."