twenty nine

29|ACKERMANN

"Understand?" Levi states after explaining the Interior Police. "He's Kenny the Ripper. If he's there, he'll be our biggest obstacle. In terms of how much of a threat he is, equate him to me as an enemy. No, with those weapons of his, he's deadlier than me." Lillian squeaked at the comment, laughing that Levi thought there was someone stronger than him.

"Then he's unbeatable, at least for us." Sasha gulped at the thought.

"If we could meet up with the troops-" Conny said hopefully before Mikasa cut him off.

"Absolutely not."

"I know, absolutely not!" Conny repeated, finding his confidence even though he was shaking with fear. "If we wait until morning, Eren might end up getting eaten!"

"Though, if what the captain said is true, it's not like he has no weak points." Armin pointed out, glancing back at Mikasa.

"For real, Armin?"

"Yeah, I'm sure he's trained plenty, but having combat experience is something else." Armin explained to Jean.

"I wonder, how is it you lived with Kenny the Ripper but know almost nothing about him, Levi?" Hanje questioned curiously which made Lillian perk her head up and glance at the man.

"Sorry, but I only found out his full name not too long ago." Levi apologised to them. "Apparently, it's Kenny Ackermann. He some relative of yours?"

"I heard from my parents when they were alive that my dad's side, the Ackermanns, were persecuted in the cities." Mikasa explained to her Captain. "My mother's family was Oriental, so being a different race meant they didn't fit in anywhere. Both were people chased deep in the mountains near the edge of the walls, so that's how they met and married. But I never found out why the Ackermanns were persecuted. My dad didn't seem like a different race like my mother was."

"Has there ever been a moment where it's felt like power suddenly awakened inside you?" He stopped her from her dark thoughts.

"There has." Her eyes were wide in fright at the sudden realisation.

"Kenny Ackermann had a moment like that, too." Levi continued, trying to figure out what was special about the Ackermann family. A secret Lillian knew about from having access to the Royal Library. "One time, out of nowhere, he felt an absurd amount of strength within him and he knew exactly what he had to do. I've felt moments like that, too."

"I may know something about that." Lillian bit her lip as she avoided her husband's eyes. "And I'm sorry I kept my mouth shut for so long, I never thought of it being important."

"Spit it out." He growled at his wife, knowing she was stalling her answer.

"The Ackermann use to be a family of warriors protecting the King." She revealed, glancing at him through the corner of her eye. "The Ackermann family isn't hated by the King but more feared due to lack of control. The King passed down the Power of the Titans from generation to generation, or something like that. I never really understood what I was reading. Some stupid shit about altering humanities memories, blah blah blah."

"You knew all this and didn't say anything?" Hanje swore at her, suddenly standing up to pretend fight her friend but the shaky trailer forced her to sit down again.

"I forgot." Lilly tried to justify herself. "It's hard to explain, I barely managed to read the book because it was so hidden and shouldn't have been found. There were two noble families that turned against the crown because he couldn't control them with his mind tricks. The Oriental Clan and the Ackermann family, that's all I know. There must be something special about the Ackermann bloodline that explains why you feel this power."

"Lillian Ackermann." Levi said warningly. "You withheld vital information because you "forgot"?"

"I'm sorry, it's more complicated than that. I was caught in the library by Walter, you can guess what happened next." She glanced away from the pitiful stares. "Nothing serious happened but I'm still scarred."

Levi wrapped his arm around his wife and pulled her into his side, his way of silently comforting her without the need for words. The trailer went silent after that as they neared the rebuilt church, all preparing for the battle that was about to go down.