twelve

12|FIRST KISS

"Where are they?" Lillian poured, looking around the streets for her husband and Hanje.

"Sorry we're late!" Hanje apologised as she finally arrived with Levi and Pastor Nick. "Took longer to prepare than we thought.

"I was considering telling Erwin to leave without you." The blonde woman laughed, stepping aside to let them on to the cart. She froze when she felt the familiar feeling of bile rising up her throat.

"Hurry up." Levi rushed his wife, grabbing her hand and helping her into the cart. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

"Sorry, I zoned out momentarily." She lied through her teeth, putting on her usual friendly smile.

"Isn't this a priest from the Order of the Walls?" Armin questioned slowly, staring at the extra with surprise.

"Yeah. Nick and I are best buddies, right?" Hanje roughly wrapped her arm around the silent mans shoulders.

"Is that before or after you almost killed him?" Lilly laughed, cuddling into Levi's side as a chilly night breeze drifted over them.

"Don't let him bother you. The whole makeup of this squad doesn't make any sense. Does it, Levi?" The brunette woman continued, ignoring the blondes rhetorical question.

"No, I think it might." He disagreed, subtly placing his arm behind Lillians back and pulling her close. "Erwin picked them out for a reason."

"Open the gate!" Their conversation was cut short as their excursion began, Erwin leading the way. "The situation within Wall Rose is unclear but everything up until Ehrmich is safe. We'll save time going through there. Move out!"

"Huh? He knew?" Eren gasped as Hanje finally told him the real reason Pastor Nick was joining them. "Theres Titans inside the walls and he'd known about it?"

"Yes, though he's kept his mouth shut this entire time." Hanje sent the religious man a side glare. "But now he's coming with us to witness the harsh reality. Will his beliefs be strong enough for him to stay silent? Or will seeing it with his own eyes make him question himself?"

"No, no, no! This is all backwards!" The boy slammed his fists on to the crate in front of him. "If there's something you know, tell us about it! Nothing's more important than keeping the humans from going extinct."

"Eren, settle down. You're still not fully healed." Mikasa ordered when Eren began to clutch his head.

"Here, let me take a look." Lillian grabbed a small torch out of her bag and leaned forwards to shine it in his eyes. "I have some pain killers you can chew on that will reduce your headache."

"There's more than one way to get answers." Levi revealed the small gun he had trained on the Pastors side. "I may be injured and useless right now, but it doesn't take much to watch one man. I'm hoping we can settle this without blasting a hole in anyone. Aren't you?"

"You're not useless, just injured." Lilly sighed, sitting back down and handing Eren some medicine.

"Threatening him doesn't work, Levi." Hanje spoke up, remembering the mans openness to death. "Believe me, I've tried. It seems to me that this Priest is capable of sound judgement. That's why I wonder; what if the reason he doesn't talk is because he knows something more important than the fate of humanity?"

The cart went silent after that, everyone thinking about what Hanje revealed. Lillian sighed with exhaustion and leaned her head on Levi's shoulder, considering sleeping until they arrive.

"Sleep, idiot." Levi whispered to her, not wanting everyone to intrude on their conversation. "You've been busy all day."

"I love you." She hummed, allowing sleep to consume her and her dreams to take her away.

~•~

"Oi, brat." Levi kicked open the door and startled the woman inside. "We didn't see you at lunch or dinner."

"I got distracted with paper." She pushed the paper away from her and happily accepted the tray from the man. "Thank you, I really appreciate it."

"Its nothing." He sat down in the chair across from her desk and glanced around the room, noticing the many books including an old fairy tale in French. "You speak French?"

"Oui. Ici, un échange pour la nourriture." The woman replied before grabbing an unopened bottle of Whiskey from the bottom draw of her desk and placed it in front of the unreadable man.

"Thanks." A comfortable silence filled the room as Lillian devoured her meal, forgetting about the other person in the room.

"Why are you so emotionless? I feel like I can never tell if you're being nice or you're up to something." Lillian smiled widely when she saw his eyes close and his head lean back.

"Its easier this way." His reply shocked her but she understood. Everyone knew that growing up in the Underground was no unicorn party with ice cream cake.

"I wish I knew what you were thinking." She hummed her thoughts aloud. "That way I would know if you really enjoy my company or use me for my tea."

"Both." Levi revealed, putting his cup down and standing up, waltzing over to the startled woman.

Lillian placed her cup down and watched him carefully, not knowing what the unpredictable man was about to do. He leaned down and pressed his mouth against hers, waiting for her reaction. Lilly melted against his lips, wrapping her arms behind his neck and pulling him closer.

The doctor shot up awake, her fingers touching her lips. Her breathing was heavy and eyes wide at the memory.

"Lilly? Are you okay?" Hanje asked, leaning forwards to look at the startled woman. "Did you have a nightmare?"

"No." Lilly breathed out, trying to get her thoughts straight. "I dreamed about mine and Levi's first kiss."